Solving 3 Variables with 2 Equations: Min Force Needed

In summary, the problem is that the author is having trouble understanding the sketches and is not sure how to solve the problem. They need to find the tension in the rope by solving for the weight of the block and then substracting the tension from that figure. If the initial movement is vertical, then the vertical component of the tension will equal the weight of the block. If the initial movement is horizontal, then the horizontal component of the tension will need to become big enough to slide the block before the vertical component is enough to lift the block.
trajan22
The problem I am having is that in all the figures (in the image) I have 3 variables with only 2 equations. In figure 3 The only way I could solve for the variables would be to set the normal force equal to the weight, however if the tension is also pulling up it would decrease the normal force. What am I missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://thumb9.webshots.net/t/62/462/7/59/6/2342759060052201329kWwXpL_th.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The sketches are a little hard to decipher. But if I understand them correctly, the block will start to move only when the tension is enough to counteract the weight of the block. Which means that the tension in the rope attached to the block will have to have a vertical component equal to the weight of the block (and a horizontal component of ?). That's if the initial motion of the block is vertical. Seems like you also need to check to see if slightly less tension would lighten the block enough so that the horizontal component of the tension could slide the block sideways...

That makes sense if the initial movement is vertical. But how could I find the tension if the initial movement is horizontal. Would'nt that bring us back to the 3 variable 2 equation thing?

If it would help I could scan the problem from the book also.

trajan22 said:
That makes sense if the initial movement is vertical. But how could I find the tension if the initial movement is horizontal. Would'nt that bring us back to the 3 variable 2 equation thing?

If it would help I could scan the problem from the book also.

I'm not sure about the number of equations thing, but the first movement will be horizontal if the horizontal component of the tension required to overcome the diminishing horizontal static friction force (F=mu*N) becomes big enough to slide the block, before the vertical component is enough to lift the block. Are you given the mu for the block on the surface? If not, then they must just be asking for the lifting event.

And if it's the lifting event, then yes, the vertical component of the tension would equal the weight of the block. Does that give you an equal number of unknowns and equations now? (I don't know -- I haven't looked in detail at the problem)

Last edited:
They do give mu as .3. I think I might be able to solve the problem now. If I can't Ill post back. thanks for the help.

1. What is the purpose of solving for 3 variables with 2 equations in this scenario?

The purpose of solving for 3 variables with 2 equations in this scenario is to determine the minimum force needed to achieve equilibrium between three forces acting on an object.

2. How do you set up the equations for solving 3 variables with 2 equations?

To set up the equations, you will need to identify the three forces acting on the object and assign variables to each force. Then, use Newton's Second Law to create two equations: one for the horizontal forces and one for the vertical forces.

3. What is the process for solving the equations and finding the minimum force?

The process involves solving the two equations simultaneously using algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination. Once you have found the values for the three variables, you can determine the minimum force needed by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the forces.

4. Are there any limitations to solving 3 variables with 2 equations?

Yes, there are limitations to this method. It assumes that the object is in equilibrium, meaning that the forces are balanced and there is no net force acting on the object. It also assumes that the forces are acting at right angles to each other.

5. Can solving 3 variables with 2 equations be applied to other scenarios?

Yes, this method can be applied to other scenarios involving equilibrium and multiple forces. However, the number of equations and variables may vary depending on the specific scenario.