1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Minimum Work to Compress Water

1. Apr 26, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the minimum work to compress 1 kg of water isothermally from p1=1 bar, T1=120C to a volume that is 1/3 the original volume.

2. Relevant equations
    Energy balance Q-W=U+KE+PE

3. The attempt at a solution
    So first I found the phase of the water (p<psat for that temp so superheated vapor)
    I found the properties (v,u,h,s) for that temperature and pressure in the superheated table.
    I can use the specific volume at 1 to find the specific volume at 2 because mass stays constant (closed system) and it's just 1/3 v1. I used that specific volume to determine the state at 2 (in between vf and vg so it's in the saturated liquid vapor phase). I found the quality using tables so I can calculate u, h, s.

I'm mostly confused about the energy balance: I'm pretty sure I can neglect KE and PE. Is there a Q value though? When I went over this problem with the professor he hinted at using TdS equations (Gibbs?) for finding the heat. The Tds equation that I know is Tds=du+Pdv (which is similar to the energy balance since Pdv is the work and du is the the change in internal energy). Do I do W=du+Tds?

Or maybe it is okay to just assume no heat transfer and do W=U and then do m(u2-u1). I'm mostly confused about when you can assume things when doing energy balance.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2016 #2
    You know that the temperature is constant right, and for minimum work, Q = ∫TdS, so Q=TΔS. Just get the Δs from your tables and calculate Q.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted