1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gibbs Free Energy, Maxwell Relations

1. Dec 10, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have a Gibbs Free Energy function G=G(P, T, N1, N2) I am not writing the whole function because I just want a push in the right direction. Find expressions for the entropy, volume, internal energy, enthalpy and chemical potential.

2. Relevant equations
    Maxwell Relations
    T=(dU/dS) V and Ni constant
    -P=(dU/dV) S and Ni constant
    T=(dH/dS) P and Ni constant
    V=(dH/dP) S and Ni constant

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have found entropy, volume and chemical potential (partial molar gibbs free energy) functions using related equations. But I'm not sure on how to derive internal energy and enthalpy expressions.
    If I try to make use of above equations, for an example first equation dU=TdS so U=T.dS
    but also from second equation dU=-PdV so U=-PdV

Can both be correct at the same time? I think they would yield different equations.

If I am going absolutely wrong, do you have any idea on how to find U and H expressions. What other relations could be used?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2015 #2
    For H, start with dG=-SdT-VdP+μ1dN12dN2, and substitute S=(H-G)/T. Then consider dP=0, dN's = 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted