Gibbs Free Energy, Maxwell Relations

In summary, the conversation discusses finding expressions for entropy, volume, internal energy, enthalpy, and chemical potential in a Gibbs Free Energy function. The person has already found expressions for entropy, volume, and chemical potential using related equations, but is unsure about deriving expressions for internal energy and enthalpy. The conversation suggests using Maxwell Relations and substituting values for temperature, pressure, and number of moles in the given equations to find the desired expressions.
albertov123

Homework Statement

We have a Gibbs Free Energy function G=G(P, T, N1, N2) I am not writing the whole function because I just want a push in the right direction. Find expressions for the entropy, volume, internal energy, enthalpy and chemical potential.

Homework Equations

Maxwell Relations
T=(dU/dS) V and Ni constant
-P=(dU/dV) S and Ni constant
T=(dH/dS) P and Ni constant
V=(dH/dP) S and Ni constant

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found entropy, volume and chemical potential (partial molar gibbs free energy) functions using related equations. But I'm not sure on how to derive internal energy and enthalpy expressions.
If I try to make use of above equations, for an example first equation dU=TdS so U=T.dS
but also from second equation dU=-PdV so U=-PdV

Can both be correct at the same time? I think they would yield different equations.

If I am going absolutely wrong, do you have any idea on how to find U and H expressions. What other relations could be used?

Physics news on Phys.org
For H, start with dG=-SdT-VdP+μ1dN12dN2, and substitute S=(H-G)/T. Then consider dP=0, dN's = 0.

1. What is Gibbs Free Energy and how is it related to thermodynamics?

Gibbs Free Energy is a thermodynamic quantity that represents the amount of energy available to do work in a system. It takes into account both the enthalpy and entropy of a system, and is used to determine whether a reaction or process is spontaneous or not.

2. How is Gibbs Free Energy calculated?

Gibbs Free Energy is calculated using the equation G = H - TS, where G is the Gibbs Free Energy, H is the enthalpy, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and S is the entropy. This equation is valid for both constant pressure and constant temperature processes.

3. What are Maxwell Relations and why are they important?

Maxwell Relations are a set of equations derived from thermodynamic relationships that relate different thermodynamic properties of a system. They are important because they allow us to determine one property from another, making it easier to analyze and understand thermodynamic systems.

4. How do Maxwell Relations relate to Gibbs Free Energy?

One of the Maxwell Relations, known as the Gibbs-Helmholtz equation, relates the change in Gibbs Free Energy with respect to temperature at constant pressure. This relationship is important in determining the spontaneity of a reaction or process at different temperatures.

5. Can Maxwell Relations be applied to non-ideal systems?

Yes, Maxwell Relations can be applied to non-ideal systems as long as the system is in a state of thermodynamic equilibrium. However, they may not be as accurate in predicting behavior as in ideal systems.