Finding motion where the acceleration depends on position and time

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the computation of motion using a differential equation and initial values, where the acceleration is dependent on the position. The problem is related to a pendulum where the rope is considered as a spring. The conversation also mentions the use of Hamilton's principle and resolving vectors. The concept of velocity and acceleration is also discussed.
simo22
I have computed that the acceleration in my problem is
a(t) = -gj - k/m(|r(t)| - L_0) * r(t)/|r(t)|

Where a(t) is the acceleration vector, g is the gravitational acceleration, j is the unit vector in y-direction, k is the spring constant, m is the mass, r(t) is the position vector, |r(t)| is the length of r(t) and L_0 is the equilibrium length of a rope. I am asked in my problem to make a differential equation by using some initial values and the acceleration to compute the motion.

I was told by the teacher not to use the equations of motion because those require a constant acceleration, while the one we have here is dependent on the position. Is there a way for me to compute the motion given an initial velocity and position?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with setting up and solving differential equations?

I'm somewhat familiar with it. I was thinking that since we know r(0), v(0) and a(t), I could simply compute
r(t) = r(0) + v(0)*t + ∫∫a(t)dtdt, but I do not know how to integrate a(t) when it depends on r(t)

simo22 said:
Summary:: Finding motion by making a differential equation using initial values and an acceleration that depends on position and time.

I have computed that the acceleration in my problem is
a(t) = -gj - k/m(|r(t)| - L_0) * r(t)/|r(t)|

Where a(t) is the acceleration vector, g is the gravitational acceleration, j is the unit vector in y-direction, k is the spring constant, m is the mass, r(t) is the position vector, |r(t)| is the length of r(t) and L_0 is the equilibrium length of a rope. I am asked in my problem to make a differential equation by using some initial values and the acceleration to compute the motion.

I was told by the teacher not to use the equations of motion because those require a constant acceleration, while the one we have here is dependent on the position. Is there a way for me to compute the motion given an initial velocity and position?

What physical scenario does this represent?

It is a pendulum where we think of the rope as a spring

simo22 said:
It is a pendulum where we think of the rope as a spring

Ah, ##r(t)## is a vector! You must write ##\vec r##. And the thing on the end is ##\hat r##. I guess you mean the bob is attached by a spring. It can't be a rope.

So, how are you going to resolve your vectors? ##\hat x, \hat y## or along the line of the spring and tangential to it?

Once more I'd rather suggest to use Hamilton's principle (which is adequate for an I-level thread, I hope).

Well, I have also computed the components of the acceleration, a_x and a_y, so I guess I could do it component-wise

simo22 said:
Well, I have also computed the components of the acceleration, a_x and a_y, so I guess I could do it component-wise

At this level, you may struggle without using Latex to render your equations:

https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/

Another observation: this seems quite an advanced problem, so the comment about "not using equations of motion", by which you mean "not using SUVAT" looks strange. If you are looking at this problem, then the simplicity of SUVAT should be long ago! Have you not studied simple harmonic motion or other variable force problems before this?

In this case, perhaps resolving along the spring and tangential to it seems more natural. I haven't got time to analyse this myself, but my guess is that's a more promising approach.

2nd derivative of distance with respect to time= acceleration. your title seems to have pointed to the definition of velocity, which is the 1st derivative of distance with respect to time. acceleration is the change of velocity with respect to time

1. What is the difference between motion with constant acceleration and motion with acceleration dependent on position and time?

Motion with constant acceleration occurs when the acceleration of an object remains the same throughout its motion. On the other hand, motion with acceleration dependent on position and time means that the acceleration changes as the position and time of the object changes.

2. How do you calculate the acceleration for motion with acceleration dependent on position and time?

The acceleration for this type of motion can be calculated using the formula a(t) = dv/dt, where a(t) is the acceleration at a specific time and v is the velocity at that time. This formula takes into account the changes in position and time to determine the acceleration.

3. Can an object have both constant and position-dependent acceleration?

Yes, an object can have both types of acceleration. For example, a car moving along a curved road will have a constant acceleration due to gravity, but the acceleration will also depend on the position of the car on the curve.

4. How does the graph of position vs. time change for motion with acceleration dependent on position and time?

The graph of position vs. time for this type of motion will not be a straight line like it is for motion with constant acceleration. Instead, it will be a curved line that represents the changing acceleration at different positions and times.

5. What real-life examples can demonstrate motion with acceleration dependent on position and time?

Some examples of this type of motion include a roller coaster, a swinging pendulum, or a satellite orbiting around a planet. These objects experience changes in acceleration as they move through different positions and times.