Finding original speed / acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the original speed and acceleration of a truck that covers 40.0m in 8.50s while slowing down to a final speed of 2.80 m/s. The equations x = v0*t + 1/2 *a*t2 and v2 = v02 + 2*a*x are suggested to solve for the two variables. The confusion arises when trying to determine which variable represents acceleration and velocity. It is suggested to use algebra to solve for the variables, with a = (Vf - V0)/T and V0 = 40 m/8.5 s to get an initial velocity of 4.71 m/s.
mrserv0n
Im new to this stuff so bear with me. I am really only looking for help as to what equation I use to find these answers.

A truck covers 40.0m in 8.50s while smoothly slowing down to a final speed of 2.80 m/s.

A. Find the trucks original speed.

B. Find the its acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
try using solving for 2 variables, initial speed and acceleration, in 2 equations:
x = v0*t + 1/2 *a*t2
and
v2 = v02 + 2*a*x

Im confused as to which is number is my accelartion and which is my velocity

you know 3 variables, x = 40.0m, t = 8.50s, and v = 2.80m/s
you need to find v0, the initial speed, and a, the acceleration

use your knowledge of algebra to find these 2 variables in 2 equations

Sorry to bring this post back from the dead -- but I'm doing this problem right now, and is V0 supposed to be 0? If I use formula VFinal: 2.80 m/s = V0 + AT (A being unknown at this point) and T being 8.5 seconds...

I'm left with a mad scramble of algebra where V0 = .33m-A

I'm constantly getting confused as to what to use when in these kinematics equations.

a(acceleration) = Vf-V0/T

a= 2.8m/s - V0 / 8.5 s

How would I go about plugging that in...that would still leave me with two variables none of which I seem to be able to solve for.

Is Vo supposed to be 40 m/ 8.5 s to get 4.71 m/s initial velocity?

What is the formula for finding original speed?

The formula for finding original speed is original speed = final speed - (acceleration * time). This formula is derived from the equation of motion, v = u + at, where v is the final speed, u is the original speed, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

How do you find the original speed without time?

In order to find the original speed without time, you can use the formula original speed = √(final speed2 - 2 * acceleration * displacement). This formula is derived from the equation v2 = u2 + 2as, where s is the displacement.

What is the difference between speed and acceleration?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while acceleration is a measure of how quickly the speed of an object is changing. Speed is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude, while acceleration is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How do you convert from acceleration to velocity?

In order to convert from acceleration to velocity, you can use the formula velocity = acceleration * time. This formula is derived from the definition of acceleration, a = Δv/Δt, where Δv is the change in velocity and Δt is the change in time.

What units are used to measure speed and acceleration?

Speed is typically measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second or kilometers per hour. Acceleration is typically measured in units of distance per time squared, such as meters per second squared or kilometers per hour squared.