1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding original speed / acceleration

1. Feb 6, 2006 #1
    Im new to this stuff so bear with me. I am really only looking for help as to what equation I use to find these answers.

A truck covers 40.0m in 8.50s while smoothly slowing down to a final speed of 2.80 m/s.

A. Find the trucks original speed.

B. Find the its acceleration.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2006 #2
    try using solving for 2 variables, initial speed and acceleration, in 2 equations:
    x = v0*t + 1/2 *a*t2
    and
    v2 = v02 + 2*a*x

4. Feb 6, 2006 #3
    Im confused as to which is number is my accelartion and which is my velocity

5. Feb 6, 2006 #4
    you know 3 variables, x = 40.0m, t = 8.50s, and v = 2.80m/s
    you need to find v0, the initial speed, and a, the acceleration

use your knowledge of algebra to find these 2 variables in 2 equations

6. Sep 19, 2008 #5
    Sorry to bring this post back from the dead -- but I'm doing this problem right now, and is V0 supposed to be 0? If I use formula VFinal: 2.80 m/s = V0 + AT (A being unknown at this point) and T being 8.5 seconds...

I'm left with a mad scramble of algebra where V0 = .33m-A

I'm constantly getting confused as to what to use when in these kinematics equations.

a(acceleration) = Vf-V0/T

a= 2.8m/s - V0 / 8.5 s

How would I go about plugging that in...that would still leave me with two variables none of which I seem to be able to solve for.

7. Sep 19, 2008 #6
    Is Vo supposed to be 40 m/ 8.5 s to get 4.71 m/s initial velocity?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?