1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Orthogonal Vectors in R^5 without Cross Product

1. Oct 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given vectors a=(1,-1,0,2,1) b=(3,1,-2,-1,0) and c=(1,5,2,4,-4), which are mutually orthogonal, find a system of linear equations that a vector x must satisfy so it is orthogonal to a, b, and c.

2. Relevant equations

None I think.

3. The attempt at a solution

This is part A of the problem, after which I just have to solve the system and I'm confident I can do the rest once I have it, but I don't know where to start. I tried using the equations:

x1-x2+3x4+x5=0
    3x1+x2-2x3-x5=0
    x1+5x2+2x3+4x4-4x5=0

And then just solving the matrix, which gives me
    x=(0,0,0,0,0)+s(-8,2,-11,5,0)+t(-5,5,-6,0,2)

But I'm pretty sure this doesn't answer the problem. I don't know how to create a system that gives orthogonal solutions, and the above solution isn't even a vector as far as I know. How do I start this problem? Any tips are much appreciated! Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are doing exactly the right thing, except there seems to be some typos in your equations. How did you get the 3 in the first one and why is there an x5 and not an x4 in the second one. Your result isn't 'a' vector, it's a two parameter family of vectors, which is exactly what you should get, but the numbers aren't quite right either.

4. Oct 3, 2008 #3
    I understand the problem now, and I went back and reworked everything carefully and ended up with the right solution. It was actually much easier than I thought at first. Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?