1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Orthogonal Complement

1. Apr 15, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let V be the 2-dim subspace of R^3 spanned by V1 = (1,1,1) and V2 = (-2,0,1). Find the orthogonal compliment Vperpendicular.
    2. Relevant equation

X + Y + Z = 0
    -5X + Y + 4Z = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    Firstly, I orthogonalize the basis for V and get the vectors (1,1,1) and (-5,1,4).

Then I apply the dot product and end up with the above equations. I found that the solution space for this system of equations is a single vector (x,y,z) = (.5z, -1.5z,z) . Usually I will get 2 vectors and then orthogonalize them as the basis for the orthogonal compliment. Can this single vector (.5,-1.5,1) be the orhogonal compliment? Or did I make a mistake somewhere? Please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2016 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(x,y,z) = (.5z, -1.5z,z) doesn't represent a single vector, but the one dimensional subspace spanned by the vector (.5,-1.5,1).

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  4. Apr 15, 2016 #3

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't need that. You just need to solve the system of equations
    $$
    x+y+z=0 \\
    -2x+z=0
    $$
    Obviously, there will be at least one free variable, make it ##z## and solve the other variables in terms of ##z##.

5. Apr 15, 2016 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In R3, the orthogonal complement of a two-dimensional subspace is one-dimensional, that is spanned by a single vector. You have found that vector, and the subspace consists of all vectors of form (x,y,z) = (.5z, -1.5z,z) , as you wrote. So your solution is correct, but it was not needed to orthogonalize the the basis. You can find a vector perpendicular to other two independent ones by cross-product them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted