Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Partial Derivative of an Integral

1. Mar 5, 2008 #1
    Hey everyone. Im new here and i have a problem with some partials. We're studying partial derivatives in calculus III. I understand and all, but we haven't covered how to take a partial derivative of an integral. This problem showed up in my practice problems before our exam tomorrow.

The problem is as follows:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial}x[/tex][tex]\int[/tex]cos(t[tex]^{3}[/tex])dt

If you cant follow that.. then it says we need the first partials (x and y) of the integral of cos(t^3)dt.. (lower limit=y, and upper limit=x)

Any insight on how to start this problem?? Thanks for any help!!

-Kev

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I couldn't follow it because you didn't put in the limits of integration, and that is crucial!

You should know from single variable calculus, the "Fundamental Theorem of Calculus":
    [tex]\frac{d}{dt}\int_a^x f(t)dt= f(x)[/tex]
    where a is any constant.
    From that it should be easy to find the partial derivative with respect to x.

To find the derivative with respect to y, remember that
    [tex]\int_y^a f(t)dt= -\int_a^y f(t)dt[/tex]

4. Mar 5, 2008 #3
    I understand that you couldn't follow it, but may I ask how to get the limits on the integral? Sorry for the mix-up.

5. Dec 9, 2008 #4
    HallsofIvy...your d/dt should be a d/dx for the fund. theor.... the way you have it written it would be zero

6. Dec 9, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hey Kev! :smile:

Hint: start by thinking ∫f = g …

then ∂/∂x of (∫f between y and x)

= ∂/dx ([g] between y and x). :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?