1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding phase difference based on distance

1. Feb 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A tuning fork is in a hall 47.0 m long, and is placed 14.0 m from one end. It generates a tone of 246Hz. What is the phase difference when the waves traveling in each direction bounce back and meet each other?

2. Relevant equations
    Calculated wavelength with 343/246. Also tried 2pi*38m/1.39m = phi. Also maybe (cos phi/2)sin(kx-omega*t+phi/2)

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I figured that I could make it simple, calculate the wavelength, divide the difference in distance traveled by wavelengths, getting 27.4 waves, and then multiply .4 * 360 to get things into degrees. This gives me 144 degrees, but the answer in the back of the book is 91.3 degrees. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2010 #2
    Had a chance to talk to the prof, and it turns out my method was correct, but my sig figs were off. Apparently, to get a correct answer, it was necessary to assume the distances were correct to about 5 sig figs, even though the book conventionally requires only 3 and the givens were all in 3 sig figs. Poorly written question IMO.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook