1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

At what distance x do the waves have a phase difference of ___?

1. Apr 18, 2015 #1
    1. The figure shows two point sources S1 and S2 that emit sound of wavelength λ = 1.8 m. The emissions are isotropic and in phase, and the separation between the sources is d = 18.0 m. At any point P on the x axis, the wave from S1 and the wave from S2 interfere. Start with P very far away (x = infin). As you then move P in along the x axis toward the origin, (a) does the phase difference between the waves increase or decrease? At what distance x do the waves have a phase difference of (b) 0.50λ, (c) 1.00λ, and (d ) 1.50λ?
    The diagram: (d is the distance from S1 to S2)
    y
    |
    |
    S1---------P-----> x
    |
    |
    |
    S2
    |
    |

2. Fully Destructive interference phi = (2m+1)pi, Fully constructive interference phi=m(2pi), deltaL=sqrt(324+x^2)-x

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the above equation of deltaL=sqrt(324+x^2)-x, I obtained the answers 161.5m, 80m, and 52.5 meters. sqrt(324+x^2) - x= 1 ,sqrt(324+x^2)-x=2, and sqrt(324+x^2)-x= 3

I'm confused as to why my answers are incorrect, I thought when the phase constants were 0.5lambda,1lambda, and 1.5lambda, the distance associated with these were 1,2, and 3. I know that my equation is correct from pythag, but im not 100% sure about my x value. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The formulas look right, but the x-values you got as solutions are not.
    Did you use a wave-length of 2 meters? It is just 1.8 m.

4. Apr 18, 2015 #3
    I was looking at an example which had the wave-length as 2 meters, I must have gotten confused. Can you point me in the right direction for solving it with the 1.8m wave-length? I'm honestly confused on what to do with the wavelength.

5. Apr 18, 2015 #4
    Thank you, I think I understand what I did wrong, hopefully my answers come out correct, will update after trying my hypothesis. :)

6. Apr 18, 2015 #5
    All good to go, if you dont mind helping me with another problem or do I have to create another thread?

In the figure, a sound of wavelength 0.600 m is emitted isotropically by point source S. Sound ray 1 extends directly to detector D, at distance L = 10.5 m. Sound ray 2 extends to D via a reflection (effectively a "bouncing") of the sound at a flat surface. The reflection occurs on a perpendicular bisector to the SD line, at distance d from the line. Assume that the reflection shifts the sound wave by 0.500λ. For what least value of d (other than zero) do the direct sound and the reflected sound arrive at D (a) exactly out of phase and (b) exactly in phase?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_dJMwd_fip0l2qz4ROFS2yGDmDHDOlbuocHrTT19P1MacDMIG57SvsTuYlinwSdh22fIFMk=s170
    Relevant equations: the afore mentioned equations

Attempt: I'm honestly not sure where to even start, if you could point me in the correct direction, please and thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  7. Apr 18, 2015 #6
    So first try thinking about exactly what out of phase and in phase mean. Then, you should be able to calculate how much of a wavelength is required for each condition and use triangles find what ##d## has to be. You know how far it has to go, written in terms of ##d##, just solve for ##d##.

So for example:
    Ray 2 has to travel ##\sqrt{{\frac{L}{2}}^2 + d^2}##, then it gets shifted by ##0.5λ##, then it has to travel the same distance again.

That help?

8. Apr 19, 2015 #7
    Yes, thank you so very much!

9. Apr 19, 2015 #8

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

FYI, it usually works best if you create a new thread for each new question that you want help with. :smile:

10. Apr 19, 2015 #9
    Thanks, as you can tell,I am a "starter" :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted