1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Points on Curve where Derivative Doesn't Exist

1. Apr 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find dy/dx on the curve

1/3*y^3 + y*sin(x) = 1 - x^6

At which points on the curve does this derivative does not exist? Find the slope of the line tangent to the curve at the point (0,3^(1/3)).

2. Relevant equations

dy/dx = - Fx/Fy

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved dy/dx implicitly using the above formula to get:

dy/dx = - (y*cos(x) + 6x^5) / (y^2 + sin(x))

To find the points where dy/dx doesn't exist, I let:

y^2 + sin(x) = 0

I've then tried rearranging the above expression in terms of y and x and substituing into the original curve equation, but can't complete the algebra by hand. Wolfram returned multiple answers depending how it's done. Any help?

Thank you! :)

EDIT: And for the last bit, I would just substitute those values for x and y into dy/dx which gives me something about -0.6 from memory?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If sin(x)=-y^2,
    1/3*y^3 - y^3 = 1 - x^6
    -2/3 y^3 = 1-x^6
    y=...
    This can be put in y^2 + sin(x) = 0 again to get a (messy) function of x only.
    In the same way, you can solve for x and get a function of y only.
    I don't think you are supposed to give analytic solutions to those equations.
    The values where the derivative does not exist? That should not give a number for the derivative.

4. Apr 14, 2013 #3
    So I can't get the values seen here:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1/3*y^3+y*sin(x)=1-x^6,+y^2+sinx=0

by hand? The algebra seems to reach a dead end every way I try it. How would I state my answer for the points of the curve that dy/dx is undefined then?

And the values for the part of the question asking: "Find the slope of the line tangent to the curve at the point (0,3^(1/3))."

I got-0.69, which looks right on the graph at that point?

Thank you! :)

EDIT: Also for showing the implicit derivative I should just be able to use dy/dx = -Fx/Fy, without showing how to arrive at that formula? Like I shouldn't have to do it with the chain rule?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  5. Apr 14, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I would describe them as "the two solution of this set of equations".

That is not a point, but if you mean x=0,3^(1/3), then it looks reasonable.

Should be fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted