Finding Points on Curve where Derivative Doesn't Exist

In summary, a derivative is a mathematical concept used to represent the rate of change of a function and it exists as a fundamental tool in calculus and for solving real-world problems. To find points where the derivative doesn't exist, one can use the limit definition or graph the function. If the derivative doesn't exist at a point, it means the function is not differentiable at that point. A function can have multiple points where the derivative doesn't exist, and these points can be useful in understanding the behavior of the function, identifying critical points, and analyzing discontinuities and limits.
AXidenT

Homework Statement

Find dy/dx on the curve

1/3*y^3 + y*sin(x) = 1 - x^6

At which points on the curve does this derivative does not exist? Find the slope of the line tangent to the curve at the point (0,3^(1/3)).

Homework Equations

dy/dx = - Fx/Fy

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved dy/dx implicitly using the above formula to get:

dy/dx = - (y*cos(x) + 6x^5) / (y^2 + sin(x))

To find the points where dy/dx doesn't exist, I let:

y^2 + sin(x) = 0

I've then tried rearranging the above expression in terms of y and x and substituing into the original curve equation, but can't complete the algebra by hand. Wolfram returned multiple answers depending how it's done. Any help?

Thank you! :)

EDIT: And for the last bit, I would just substitute those values for x and y into dy/dx which gives me something about -0.6 from memory?

Physics news on Phys.org
If sin(x)=-y^2,
1/3*y^3 - y^3 = 1 - x^6
-2/3 y^3 = 1-x^6
y=...
This can be put in y^2 + sin(x) = 0 again to get a (messy) function of x only.
In the same way, you can solve for x and get a function of y only.
I don't think you are supposed to give analytic solutions to those equations.
EDIT: And for the last bit, I would just substitute those values for x and y into dy/dx which gives me something about -0.6 from memory?
The values where the derivative does not exist? That should not give a number for the derivative.

So I can't get the values seen here:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1/3*y^3+y*sin(x)=1-x^6,+y^2+sinx=0

by hand? The algebra seems to reach a dead end every way I try it. How would I state my answer for the points of the curve that dy/dx is undefined then?

And the values for the part of the question asking: "Find the slope of the line tangent to the curve at the point (0,3^(1/3))."

I got-0.69, which looks right on the graph at that point?

Thank you! :)

EDIT: Also for showing the implicit derivative I should just be able to use dy/dx = -Fx/Fy, without showing how to arrive at that formula? Like I shouldn't have to do it with the chain rule?

Last edited:
AXidenT said:
How would I state my answer for the points of the curve that dy/dx is undefined then?
I would describe them as "the two solution of this set of equations".

And the values for the part of the question asking: "Find the slope of the line tangent to the curve at the point (0,3^(1/3))."

I got-0.69, which looks right on the graph at that point?
That is not a point, but if you mean x=0,3^(1/3), then it looks reasonable.

EDIT: Also for showing the implicit derivative I should just be able to use dy/dx = -Fx/Fy, without showing how to arrive at that formula? Like I shouldn't have to do it with the chain rule?
Should be fine.

1. What is a derivative and why does it exist?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a particular point. It is used to describe how the output of a function changes in response to changes in its input. Derivatives exist because they are a fundamental tool in calculus and are necessary for solving many real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How can I find points on a curve where the derivative doesn't exist?

The derivative of a function does not exist at points where there is a sharp turn or corner in the curve, or at points where the curve has a vertical tangent. To find these points, you can use the limit definition of the derivative or graph the function and look for points where the slope of the tangent line is undefined.

3. What does it mean if the derivative doesn't exist at a certain point?

If the derivative of a function does not exist at a point, it means that the function is not differentiable at that point. This could be due to the function having a sharp turn or corner at that point, or the function having a vertical tangent. In other words, the slope of the tangent line at that point cannot be determined.

4. Can a function have more than one point where the derivative doesn't exist?

Yes, a function can have multiple points where the derivative does not exist. This can occur if the function has multiple sharp turns or corners, or multiple points where the curve has a vertical tangent. It is important to note that the existence of these points does not necessarily mean that the function is not continuous.

5. How can finding points where the derivative doesn't exist be useful?

Finding points on a curve where the derivative doesn't exist can be useful in understanding the behavior of a function. These points can indicate critical points, which are important in optimization problems. They can also help in identifying discontinuities in a function, which are important in analyzing the behavior of a function and determining its limits. Additionally, knowing where the derivative doesn't exist can help in graphing a function accurately.