Finding position and Velocity of a dropped Sandbag from 40.0m above the ground

In summary, when a hot-air balloonist releases a sandbag at a height of 40.0m above the ground with a constant velocity of 5.00m/s, the position of the sandbag at 0.250s is 40.9m and the velocity is 2.55m/s upwards. At 1.00s, the position is 40.1m and the velocity is -4.8m/s. It is important to draw a picture and indicate the positive direction to avoid confusion.
Toranc3

Homework Statement

A hot-air balloonist, rising vertically with a constant velocity of magnitude v = 5.00m/s , releases a sandbag at an instant when the balloon is a height v = 40.0m above the ground . After it is released, the sandbag is in free fall.

A: Compute the position and velocity of the sandbag at .250s and 1.00s after its release.

Homework Equations

V=Vo + A*t

Y=Yo + Voy*t + (1/2)Ay*t^(2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry, picture is up now
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t/v8sxq.gif
A: At 0.250s

V=Vo + A*t

V=5.00m/s -(9.8m/s^(2) *(0.250s)) = -2.55m/s or 2.55m/s upward...[Answer is actually +2.55m/s but the velocity is going downwards so it is negative. (is that correct?)

Y=40.0m + 5.00m/s(0.250s) + 1/2*(-9.8m/s^(2))*(0.250s)^(2)=40.9m

At 1.00s

V=Vo + A*t

V=5.00m/s -9.8m/s^(2)(1.00s)=-4.8m/s

Y=40.0m +5.00m/s(1.00s) +1/2*(-9.8m/s^(2))(1.00s)^(2)=40.1m

Thanks in advance!

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
V=5.00m/s -(9.8m/s^(2) *(0.250s)) = -2.55m/s or 2.55m/s upward...[Answer is actually +2.55m/s but the velocity is going downwards so it is negative. (is that correct?)
When you do these problems, it is good to draw a picture. On your picture you draw an arrow indicating the positive direction. That way you won't lose track.

Looking at your calculation, you put v0=+5m/s ... so the positive direction is "upwards".

In a quarter of a second, the sandbag is still moving upwards ... so its velocity should be positive. You substituted the values into the equation right but something got switched in the arithmetic.

That looks fine. Did you have anything in particular you were wondering about?

clamtrox said:
That looks fine. Did you have anything in particular you were wondering about?

Well I was not sure whether the velocity at .250s, which is 2.55m/s should be positive or negative. I made my upward positive. I believe Simon Bridge answered it. At a quarter of a second the velocity is still moving upwards. Thanks!

Simon Bridge said:
When you do these problems, it is good to draw a picture. On your picture you draw an arrow indicating the positive direction. That way you won't lose track.

Looking at your calculation, you put v0=+5m/s ... so the positive direction is "upwards".

In a quarter of a second, the sandbag is still moving upwards ... so its velocity should be positive. You substituted the values into the equation right but something got switched in the arithmetic.

Oh I see. Yeah I made my positive upwards and I did draw a picture. I just was not sure if the velocity at .250 seconds should be + or - 2.55m/s. I understand what you said though. Hey thanks!

1. How do you calculate the position of a dropped sandbag from 40.0m above the ground?

To calculate the position of a dropped sandbag, you can use the formula x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at^2, where x is the final position, x0 is the initial position (in this case, 40.0m above the ground), v0 is the initial velocity (which is 0 for a dropped object), t is the time in seconds, and a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

2. How do you find the velocity of a dropped sandbag from 40.0m above the ground?

The velocity of a dropped sandbag can be found using the formula v = v0 + at, where v is the final velocity, v0 is the initial velocity (again, 0 for a dropped object), a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time in seconds.

3. What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is a constant value of 9.8 m/s^2, which represents the rate at which objects accelerate towards the Earth's surface due to the force of gravity.

4. How does air resistance affect the position and velocity of a dropped sandbag?

Air resistance can affect the position and velocity of a dropped sandbag by slowing down its descent and reducing its acceleration due to gravity. This means that the sandbag may not reach the expected final position and may have a lower velocity than predicted.

5. Can the position and velocity of a dropped sandbag be affected by external factors?

Yes, the position and velocity of a dropped sandbag can be affected by external factors such as wind, air density, and shape/size of the sandbag. These factors can alter the rate of air resistance and therefore influence the sandbag's descent and final position and velocity.