1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding potential difference across capacitor plates?

1. Apr 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two capacitors are identical, except that one is empty and the other is filled with a dielectric (k=3.6). The empty capacitor is connected to a -11V battery. What must be the potential difference across the plates of the capacitor filled with a dielectric so that it stores the same amount of electrical energy as the empty capacity?

2. Relevant equations
    C=q/V C=kε°0)A/d E=q/(ε°)A
    Estored=1/2qv = 1/2 cv^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't really know what to do. I'm guessing that there's a lack of information but however the part about the empty capacitor, that would mean Estored = 0 right? But even though I plug in something with zero and solve for C, C would be zero which would mean 0=q/V or the other equation and if I solve for a variable it would be just zero.

I'm guessing my logic is probably wrong but I'm really lost. I basically have only 2 known variables from the question.
    Any help would be awesome!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Empty capacitor means that the space between the plates is not filled with dielectric.

ehild

4. Apr 2, 2012 #3
    So does that mean I let C=kε°A/d equal to each other so kε°A/d=kε°A/d?
    And then from that plug in 3.6 for one of the k, and 1 for the other?
    And from that, the k's will cancel, the A's will cancel b/c identical, and I'm not sure about the d's. Well is that the right method or am I still doing something wrong?

5. Apr 2, 2012 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

How would the k's cancel if they are not the same?

6. Apr 2, 2012 #5
    Oops sorry. Well I meant that there will be a ratio when you divide one by the other; when transferring k over to solve for the unknown variable, there will be an actual number
    Anyways I'm still lost

7. Apr 3, 2012 #6

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Start by working out how the values of the two capacitors are related (write an expression).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook