Finding Power in watt with a real battery

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of power dissipated by a resistor connected to a battery with a given resistance and voltage. The equations used are I=V/R, P=I*V, and P=V^2/R=RI^2. The individual is struggling to find the correct answer and is seeking help for their calculations. They also mention a figure with a battery of 10 ohms and 1.5V. They request assistance with their calculations and ask for clarification on what they may have done wrong.
dmsgo89

Homework Statement

calculate the power dissipated by a resistor R connected to the battery when R = 2.4 ohm.

Homework Equations

I=V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I found A of battery that given and put R value given to find P, however I cannot get a right answer.

What did I wrong?

http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1021126/12/jfk.Figure.23.P47.new.jpg

The images shows that the battery has 10 ohm and 1.5V.

It is due tonight and I am lost :( please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
oh and I know P=I*V=V^2/R=RI^2

Please show us exactly what you have calculated and why you calculated it.

1. How do you calculate power in watt with a real battery?

To calculate power in watt with a real battery, you need to know the voltage and current of the battery. Then, you can use the formula P = V x I, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and I is current in amps.

2. What is the difference between power and energy in relation to batteries?

Power is the rate at which energy is being transferred or used. It is measured in watts and indicates how fast a battery can supply energy. Energy, on the other hand, is the total amount of work or charge a battery can deliver and is measured in watt-hours (Wh).

3. Can the power of a battery change over time?

Yes, the power of a battery can change over time as it loses its capacity. This is known as battery degradation and is a natural process that occurs as a battery is used and recharged. Factors such as temperature, usage patterns, and charging habits can also affect the power of a battery.

4. How does the type of battery affect its power output?

The type of battery can significantly affect its power output. For example, lithium-ion batteries have a higher power output compared to lead-acid batteries. This is due to their chemical composition and design, which allows for faster energy transfer.

5. What is the maximum power that a battery can deliver?

The maximum power that a battery can deliver is dependent on its design and specifications. Generally, batteries have a maximum power output that is listed in their datasheets. It is important to note that this maximum power may vary based on temperature, usage, and other factors.