1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding R,L,C at resonant state

1. Jul 21, 2013 #1
    Hello again. I hope someone could check if I got the answers correct.

The magnitude of the current I in resonant state was 3[A]. When the angular frequency of the power supply was 1 [rad/s] and 2[rad/s], the magnitude of current I became 1/√2 of the value when resonance occurred. Find R, L, C.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

When I solve your equations as you've given them I'm seeing -3/8 for the capacitance... which shouldn't be.

You have to be a bit careful about 'losing' solutions when you eliminate squares.

4. Jul 21, 2013 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your approach looks right, but I got a different result. Check your equations against mine & recheck your math:

(L - 1/C)^2 = 16,
    (2L - 1/2C)^2 = 16

5. Jul 21, 2013 #4
    Yes, at first I got -3/8 for the Capacitance but since it's an absolute value, I made it positive. Well, looks like I have to redo my calculation again :(

6. Jul 21, 2013 #5
    I redid it and still got the same simultaneous equations. Can you tell me where I am wrong?

Attached Files:

7. Jul 21, 2013 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you agree with my equations or not? If so, what solutions do you get?

Hint: there are multiple solutions but only one where L and C are positive, as they must be.

8. Jul 22, 2013 #7
    Yes, yours seems to be the same as mine. But can we cancel out the squares by just adding a root to both sides?

9. Jul 22, 2013 #8

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When you take a square root you have to realize there are two polarities involved. Here we are taking two roots so be prepared to get four sets of answers for L and C.

But only one of them has L > 0 and C > 0.

10. Jul 22, 2013 #9
    Oh, I totally forgot about that. So that's what "losing solutions" means. So C=1/8 and L=4.
    Thank you soooo much!!!! Could you take a look at my new thread? I need help.

11. Jul 22, 2013 #10

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, you have got it!
    Will check your new thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted