Finding region bounded by curves

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with a math problem and another person providing a summary of the steps to solve it. The problem involves finding the region bounded by three curves, and the solution involves finding the points of intersection and using integration to find the area. The person providing the summary reminds the other not to give full answers for homework problems.
superelf83
Hi. I'm new here. :) I was wondering if anyone could help me out with this problem...
i'm supposed to find the region bounded by:
y=x+1
y=e^-x
x=1

i think i should find the other point of intersection but i forgot to do that (i haven't taken a math course for about 4 years).
please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just

[tex]\int_0^1 (x+1-e^{-x}) dx = (\frac 1 2 x^2 + x + e^{-x})\vert_0^1 = 1/2+e^{-1}[/tex]

Find the region or find the area of the region?

"i think i should find the other point of intersection but i forgot to do that "
Forgot to do that or forgot how to do that?:rolleyes:

The region is bounded by the three curves y= x+ 1, y= e-x and x= 1. It should be easy to see that y= x+ 1 and y= e-x cross at (0, 1). Of course, y= x+ 1 and x= 1 cross at (1, 2). Finally, y= e-x and x= 1 cross at (1, e-1).

maverick6664, please don't give the full answer to homework problems.

1. What is the definition of a region bounded by curves?

A region bounded by curves is a specific area on a two-dimensional graph that is enclosed by one or more curves or lines.

2. How do you find the region bounded by curves?

To find the region bounded by curves, you need to first graph the curves on a coordinate plane. Then, identify the points of intersection between the curves. Finally, use integration to find the area between the curves and the x-axis.

3. What is the importance of finding the region bounded by curves?

Finding the region bounded by curves is important in various fields of science and engineering, as it allows for the calculation of important values such as volume, surface area, and probability.

4. Can the region bounded by curves be negative?

No, the region bounded by curves cannot be negative as it represents a physical area on a graph. However, the value calculated for the region can be negative if the curves intersect in a way that results in a negative area.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for finding the region bounded by curves?

While there are no shortcuts for finding the region bounded by curves, there are some techniques that can make the process easier, such as using symmetry to reduce the area to be calculated or breaking the region into smaller, simpler shapes.