Finding relative speed of space shuttle

In summary, the problem involves calculating the relative speed of the exhaust gas from a space shuttle launch, with given initial mass, acceleration, and fuel consumption rate. The equation for speed is incorrect and needs to be adjusted to account for initial and final velocities and the fuel consumption over time. The height of the orbit is also needed to accurately calculate the final velocity.
huybinhs

Homework Statement

The space shuttle, with an initial mass M = 2.81E+6 kg, is launched from the surface of the Earth with an initial net acceleration a = 17.5 m/s2. The rate of fuel consumption is R = 8.20E+3 kg/s. The mass of the shuttle when it reaches orbit is Mo = 6.74E+5 kg. What is the relative speed of the exhaust gas?

The Attempt at a Solution

I got exhaust v = ma dt /dm = 6 km/s

then I got relative speed = exhaust v * (M/Mfuel)

which Mfuel = (2.81* 10^6) - (6.74*10^5) = 2.136 * 10^6 kg

=> I got the relative speed = 1.65 kg/s which is NOT CORRECT!

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation for the speed isn't right.

Vshuttle_final=Vshuttle_initial+v_exhaust*ln(Mf/Mi)+a*t

Where I assume that the initial and final velocities of the shuttle are zero, starts from rest, and ends at orbit (rest).

Also, the fuel consumption will looks like this
dm/dt=R
mf=mi+Rt
which allows you to solve for t

I don't know what level of physics this is, so if you don't know differential equations (I assume you don't as this is "Introductory Physics") then I guess you have some formulas that you never listed. If you have done differential equations, work it out for yourself to see if what I say is true.

Ok, thanks for your help! ;)

Actually, I don't really know what I was saying earlier (it was the morning), you ought to know how high the shuttle orbits because you need that velocity as your final velocity, but the problem doesn't give it, huh...

I would approach this problem by first analyzing the given information and identifying the relevant equations and variables. In this case, we have the initial mass of the space shuttle (M), the initial acceleration (a), the rate of fuel consumption (R), and the final mass of the shuttle when it reaches orbit (Mo). We also need to consider the mass of the exhaust gas (Mfuel) and the relative speed of the exhaust gas (v).

To find the relative speed of the exhaust gas, we can use the conservation of momentum equation:

Mv = Mfuel * v_exhaust

where v_exhaust is the speed of the exhaust gas.

We can also use the conservation of mass equation:

M - Mfuel = Mo

Combining these equations, we can solve for the relative speed of the exhaust gas:

v_exhaust = (M/Mfuel) * (M - Mo)

Substituting the given values, we get:

v_exhaust = (2.81E+6 kg / 2.136E+6 kg) * (2.81E+6 kg - 6.74E+5 kg)

= 1.65E+3 m/s

Therefore, the relative speed of the exhaust gas is approximately 1.65 km/s. It is important to note that this is an approximate value as we have made some assumptions and have not accounted for factors such as air resistance and changes in gravitational pull during the launch. To obtain a more precise value, we would need to consider these factors and perform more detailed calculations.

1. How do you calculate the relative speed of a space shuttle?

The relative speed of a space shuttle is calculated by taking the difference between its speed and the speed of the reference frame it is being measured against. This can be calculated using the formula: relative speed = shuttle speed - reference frame speed.

2. What is the reference frame used to measure the space shuttle's speed?

The reference frame used to measure the space shuttle's speed is typically the Earth's surface or the Earth's orbit. This allows for a comparison between the shuttle's speed and a known reference point.

3. Can the relative speed of a space shuttle change during its journey?

Yes, the relative speed of a space shuttle can change during its journey. This can be due to factors such as changes in the shuttle's velocity, gravitational pulls from other objects, or changes in the reference frame being used to measure its speed.

4. How is the relative speed of a space shuttle important in space travel?

The relative speed of a space shuttle is important in space travel because it affects the time and energy needed to reach a destination. By understanding the shuttle's relative speed, scientists can make calculations and adjustments to ensure the shuttle reaches its target with the necessary speed and precision.

5. Is there a maximum relative speed that a space shuttle can reach?

Yes, there is a maximum relative speed that a space shuttle can reach. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light (299,792,458 meters per second) is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. Therefore, a space shuttle's relative speed cannot exceed the speed of light.