Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding revolution of different sized wheels

1. Oct 26, 2011 #1
    Ok the answer in the back of my book says 974 revolutions and a very short hand way to get that is divide the big wheel radius by the small wheel radius to get 3.53 so i can just multiply 3.53 times the 276 rev to get 974 rev. But I tried a long way using the s=rtheta formula b/c on a test I probably cant get all points without using a formula. I got a different answer and I don't know why. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here is the question and my work is in the picture.
    A penny farthing bicycle(has a large front wheel and a small rear wheel). On a sunday ride teh front wheel(r=1.20m) makes 276 revolutions. How many revolutions does the rear wheel(r=.340m) make?
    Okay so I simply use the formula s=r times theta. I know to use this formula I have to have radians and I converted and then at the end convert back to revolutions. i rev=2pie radians.

Now I first found the total distance traveled by the big wheel by finding s which is the distance and this is the same for the small wheel so i just plugged it in. Am I missing something?? THANKS.
    http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/7942/002oek.jpg [Broken]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2011 #2
    You should post this in the homework section.
    How did you get that 6120 divided by 2π is 9614? What value of π are you using?

4. Oct 26, 2011 #3
    I just divided 6120 by 2pie just to convert radians into revolutions. 1 rev= 2 pie radian

5. Oct 26, 2011 #4
    My question was about your numbers. How much is 6120 divided by 2π?

6. Oct 26, 2011 #5
    ahhhhh okay when i typed it into my calculator as (2pie) and it didnt multiply apparently. Its 974. Thanks for catching my dumb mistake. I thought it would automatically multiply but I have to put in the sign. :yuck:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook