Finding right limit of log(2sin(x/2))-log(2(sin(x/2)+cos(x/2))

• Thread starter Alexx1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the right limit of log(2sin(x/2))-log(2(sin(x/2)+cos(x/2)) as x approaches 0. The suggested method is to simplify the two logarithms and use double angle formulas on the trigonometric functions. The conversation also concludes that the limit is ln(0+) which equals -∞, as shown by trying smaller positive values of x.
Alexx1
log(2sin(x/2))-log(2(sin(x/2)+cos(x/2))

I have to find the right limit from x --> 0

How can I solve this limit?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Have you tried anything? How about simplifying the two logarithms and then using double angle formulae on the trigs.

Mentallic said:
Have you tried anything? How about simplifying the two logarithms and then using double angle formulae on the trigs.

If you simplify them you get:

log(sin(x/2)/(sin(x/2)+cos(x/2))

But if I fill in 0 than I get log(0) but that doesn't exist..
If I use a double angle formulae I also get log(0)

Well that's why it's a limit which suggests you need to figure out what the limit is as x approaches 0 from the right side. Where is it heading?

Mentallic said:
Well that's why it's a limit which suggests you need to figure out what the limit is as x approaches 0 from the right side. Where is it heading?

If I plot the function on my calculator, I thinks it's heading to -8, but I'm not sure

That's because your calculator isn't accurate enough or you can't see exactly what's happening really close (even closer than that) to 0.

You've already figured out that the answer is ln(0+) - the plus is there to show it's from the right side, not both sides of 0. 0- denotes from the left side.
What is the answer to ln(0+)? That's the same as asking what happens to the function y=ln(x) as x approaches 0 from the right?

Mentallic said:
That's because your calculator isn't accurate enough or you can't see exactly what's happening really close (even closer than that) to 0.

You've already figured out that the answer is ln(0+) - the plus is there to show it's from the right side, not both sides of 0. 0- denotes from the left side.
What is the answer to ln(0+)? That's the same as asking what happens to the function y=ln(x) as x approaches 0 from the right?

Is it -∞?

Yep! :smile:

To convince yourself, try every smaller positive values of x,

x=0.1
x=0.001
x=10-10

You'll see where it's headed.

Mentallic said:
Yep! :smile:

To convince yourself, try every smaller positive values of x,

x=0.1
x=0.001
x=10-10

You'll see where it's headed.

Thanks!

1. What is the limit of log(2sin(x/2))-log(2(sin(x/2)+cos(x/2))) as x approaches 0?

The limit of this expression as x approaches 0 is undefined or does not exist. This is because as x gets closer to 0, both sin(x/2) and cos(x/2) approach 0, causing the denominator to become 0 and making the expression undefined.

2. Can this limit be evaluated using L'Hopital's rule?

No, L'Hopital's rule cannot be applied in this case because the expression does not take on an indeterminate form (such as 0/0 or ∞/∞) as x approaches 0.

3. What is the limit of log(2sin(x/2))-log(2(sin(x/2)+cos(x/2))) as x approaches π/2?

The limit of this expression as x approaches π/2 is -∞. This is because as x approaches π/2 from the left, sin(x/2) approaches 1 and cos(x/2) approaches 0, making the denominator approach 0 and causing the expression to approach -∞.

4. Is this limit affected by the choice of base for the logarithms?

No, the limit will remain the same regardless of the base of the logarithms. This is because changing the base only results in a constant factor, which does not affect the overall limit.

5. How can this limit be visualized graphically?

This limit cannot be visualized graphically as it does not exist. As x approaches 0, the function becomes undefined, resulting in a vertical asymptote on the graph. However, the behavior of the function on either side of 0 can be observed by graphing the individual terms log(2sin(x/2)) and log(2(sin(x/2)+cos(x/2))).