Finding roots of the derivative of a polynomial.

In summary, the conversation discusses how to approach part b of a problem involving the mean value theorem. It is suggested to first differentiate the given function and factor out certain terms. It is then realized that the signs of r(a) and r(b) affect P(x) = p'(x) + kp(x), and it is mentioned that p'(x) is not always equal to 0 at x=a or b. There is confusion about how the value of k affects the equation and its roots. Further clarification or ideas are requested.
Jesssa
hey

i'm trying to figure out how to approach part b of this problem,

http://imageshack.us/a/img850/6059/asdasdno.jpg

so i can see that you can apply the mean value theorem to p'(x)

so there exists some c between a and b such that

f'(c) = [f(b) - f(a)] / (b-a)=0

so p'(x) has a root between a and b,

however

P(x) = p'(x) + kp(x)

and p(x) only has roots a and b on the interval (a,b) and nothing else

so P(c) = 0 + kp(c) which is only 0 for k=0 or c=a or b

this is making me a big confused on how to continue with the question,

does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
An obvious first step is to differentiate the given function:
p'(x)= m(x-a)^{m-1}(x- b)^nq(x)+ n(x- a)^m(x- b)^{n-1}q(x)+ (x- a)^m(x- b)^n q'(x)
Now factor out (x- a)^{m-1} and (x- b)^{n-1}:
p'(x)= (x-a)^{m-1}(x- b)^{m-1}(m(x- b)^nq(x)+ n(x- a)q(x)+ (x- a)(x- b)q'(x))
so that r(x)= m(x- b)^nq(x)+ n(x- a)q(x)+ (x- a)(x- b)q'(x)

Now show that r(a) and r(b) have different signs.

thanks for replying!

sorry if i am miss understanding something, but it seems like you are describing the steps of part a of the question.

i'm having trouble seeing how the sign of r(a) and r(b) effects P(x) = p'(x) + kp(x) (part b)
since here the zero of P(x) is in the interval (a,b).

p'(x) is not 0 always at x=a or b because it will depend on the value of n and m,

and the fact that it says 'for any k in ℝ" makes me think that the kp(x) must be zero so
kp(x) = 0, but its for all k in ℝ so p(x) = 0 but that is only true at x=a or x=b
but if x=a or x=b then p'(x) is not equal to zero unless bot m,n≠1

Last edited:

1. What is the derivative of a polynomial?

The derivative of a polynomial is a mathematical function that describes the rate of change of the polynomial at any given point. It is the slope of the tangent line to the polynomial at that point.

2. Why is it important to find the roots of the derivative of a polynomial?

Finding the roots of the derivative of a polynomial allows us to determine the critical points, or places where the polynomial changes direction, and identify the maximum and minimum values of the polynomial. This information is crucial in many real-world applications, such as optimization problems.

3. How do you find the roots of the derivative of a polynomial?

To find the roots of the derivative of a polynomial, you can use various methods such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or the rational roots theorem. You can also use a graphing calculator or computer software to approximate the roots.

4. Can a polynomial have multiple roots of its derivative?

Yes, a polynomial can have multiple roots of its derivative. This means that there can be multiple critical points and maximum or minimum values for the polynomial.

5. How do the roots of the derivative relate to the roots of the original polynomial?

The roots of the derivative represent the x-values where the slope of the original polynomial is equal to zero, or where it changes from positive to negative or vice versa. The roots of the original polynomial are the x-values where the polynomial itself equals zero. In other words, the roots of the derivative help us identify the potential locations of roots for the original polynomial.