Finding Smallest Value of N in Infinite Sequence to Satisfy Condition

  • Thread starter Thread starter aceetobee
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Infinite Sequence
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
aceetobee
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
I want to find the smallest value of N (n > N) such that the following is true:

abs((2n)^(1/n) - 1) < 0.01

So basically, I'm looking for the term of the sequence (2n)^(1/n) which is less than 0.01 from the limit of the sequence... by trial and error, I found it to be 734.

But I'm looking ofr a theoretical solution. Any help as to what I'm missing here?

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
aceetobee, are you trying to prove that [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (2n)^{\frac{1}{n}} = 1[/itex]? If so, then trying to find the smallest N for each epsilon is not necessary. If you actually do need to find the smallest N then disregard this post.

When proving limits of sequences, we don't care about the smallest possible value of N for a particular epsilon, all we care is that an N exists having the property that n>N implies (insert the rest of the limit definition here). Note if we do have an N that works, we could just as well replace it with any larger number.

To prove this limit, I would use the fact that
[tex](2n)^{\frac{1}{n}} = (2^{\frac{1}{n}})(n^{\frac{1}{n}})[/tex]
and use the product theorem for limits.
 
Last edited: