1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding surface area with a function. Double Integration.

1. Nov 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate ∫∫f(x,y,z)DS for the given surface and function.

Part of the plain x+y+z=0, contained in the cylinder x^2+y^2=1 f(x,y,z)=z^2.
    2. Relevant equations

∫∫F(x,y,z)Ds=∫∫F(g(u,v)*||n(u,v)||

N= TuXTv
    Tu= G(u,v)(du); Tv is the same only the derivative is with respect to v

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, where I confused... is how to find the vector to use for G(u,v) from the cylinder and the plain. Aside from that I think I pretty much understand. Oh, and whould the upper and lower bounds be 1? Or do I use polar coordinates?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have choices about how to parameterize the surface. You could choose ##x## and ##y## for your parameters$$
    x = x,\, y = y,\, z = 1-x-y\,\quad \vec R(x,y)=\langle x,y,1-x-y\rangle$$or you could choose ##r## and ##\theta## and parameterize it like this$$
    x=r\cos\theta,\,y=r\sin\theta,\,z = 1 - r\cos\theta-r\sin\theta$$and parameterize it accordingly. And, of course, the limits of integration depend on your variables. Even if you start with the ##x,y## parameterization you will likely change the resulting integral to polar coordinates because the domain is a circle.

4. Nov 24, 2012 #3
    on the z=1-rcos(theta)-rsin(theta)... how did you get the 1
    if x+y+z=0
    So are you saying that the g path function would be (x,y,z)=(rcos(theta),rsin(theta),-rcos(theta)-rsin(theta)

5. Nov 24, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That was a typo. I had read the equation as ##x+y+z=1##. So put 0 instead of 1 in the appropriate places. Sorry.

That isn't the "g path". What it is is a parameterization of the portion of the plane inside the cylinder in terms of ##r## and ##\theta##.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook