1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the acceleration of an object w/ kinematic equations

1. Apr 3, 2006 #1
    This is a problem that appeared quite simple but is for some reason incorrect. I am not quite sure where I made my mistake so I spelled out my thought process below:

Question:
    "Suppose that a cart was released from rest at a position of 3.5 cm down the ramp and continued to travel down the ramp to a position of 6.7 cm.The time the cart took to pass through these points is 0.2545 seconds.
    What is the acceleration between these two points on the ramp?"

What I did:
    I used the kinematic equation of: displacement = initial velocity* time passed + 1/2 * acceleration * (time passed )^2

I knew the initial velocity = 0 because it was released from rest and the time passed was given. I had to solve for the acceleration.
    So, I converted my centimeters to meters and plugged in my values into the equation to get:
    0.32 = 0*0.2545 + 1/2* a*(0.2545)^2
    and then 0.32= 1/2 *a* 0.06477025
    and solved for a. I got the answer of 9.88 m/s^2 approx. This, however was marked incorrect.

The question then led me to solve for the velocity at given periods of time. For example, "what is the velocity at t=0.509 seconds?" If I had a correct acceleration, wouldn't I just use the kinematic equation of acceleration= change in velocity/change in time?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2006 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

you used 0.32 for displacement when 3.2 cm is 0.032 meters. so the acceleration should be 0.988 m/s^2. v=a*t for the last bit.

4. Apr 3, 2006 #3
    Now I feel kind of stupid, but that made a huge difference. Thanks

5. Apr 4, 2006 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No worries. We all ocassionally go insane while staring the obvious in the face. I've certainly done it many many times. Just need to take a step back now and again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?