1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Angle Between Two Forces

1. Mar 3, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Question is in the attachment

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand the concept and ideas, but the geometry evades me.

In polar coordinates, we have two components, [itex]\hat{r},\hat{\theta}[/itex]

I know that you just integrate the dot product of [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] and [itex]d\vec{r}[/itex] with the boundaries of position, but how did we find the angle between the two vectors?!

:confused:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... the question in the attachment is:
    "What is the velocity of m when the rod is at angle ##\phi##?"
    ... which is answered in the rest of the attachment.

The geometry is circular. They drew you a diagram.
    Probably what you need to do is redraw the diagram, bigger, for different values of ##\phi## - carefully draw in the vectors, resolve components, and watch how they change.

4. Mar 3, 2013 #3
    I should have been clearer. I know the concept behind the problem, I know how they solved, just not where they go the [tex]cos(\varphi-\frac{\pi}{2}[itex]

That perplexes me. The dot product equals the magnitude of each vector multiplied by each other, times the cos of the angle between them.

I don't know how they determined the angle.

5. Mar 3, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you show that the two angles marked θ in the picture are equal? [EDIT: The dotted line is horizontal]

Attached Files:

6. Mar 3, 2013 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... that is why I suggested you draw out the bigger diagrams. The exercise of resolving components gets you focussed on how the angles are related to each other. TSny has done one for you.

7. Mar 4, 2013 #6
    I didn't even realize that those angles were equal.....

I have not a clue how to prove they're equal.

8. Mar 4, 2013 #7

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Construct another horizontal auxiliary line through the mass m. Also think about how the vector dr is oriented relative to the rod.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted