Finding the Angle Between Two Forces

In summary: I have not a clue how to prove they're equal.Construct another horizontal auxiliary line through the mass m.
Astrum

Homework Statement

Question is in the attachment

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the concept and ideas, but the geometry evades me.

In polar coordinates, we have two components, [itex]\hat{r},\hat{\theta}[/itex]

I know that you just integrate the dot product of [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] and [itex]d\vec{r}[/itex] with the boundaries of position, but how did we find the angle between the two vectors?!

:confused:

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 507
Physics news on Phys.org
Question is in the attachment
... the question in the attachment is:
"What is the velocity of m when the rod is at angle ##\phi##?"
... which is answered in the rest of the attachment.

The geometry is circular. They drew you a diagram.
Probably what you need to do is redraw the diagram, bigger, for different values of ##\phi## - carefully draw in the vectors, resolve components, and watch how they change.

Simon Bridge said:
... the question in the attachment is:
"What is the velocity of m when the rod is at angle ##\phi##?"
... which is answered in the rest of the attachment.

The geometry is circular. They drew you a diagram.
Probably what you need to do is redraw the diagram, bigger, for different values of ##\phi## - carefully draw in the vectors, resolve components, and watch how they change.

I should have been clearer. I know the concept behind the problem, I know how they solved, just not where they go the [tex]cos(\varphi-\frac{\pi}{2}[itex]

That perplexes me. The dot product equals the magnitude of each vector multiplied by each other, times the cos of the angle between them.

I don't know how they determined the angle.

Astrum said:
how did we find the angle between the two vectors?!

Can you show that the two angles marked θ in the picture are equal? [EDIT: The dotted line is horizontal]

Attachments

• Pend angle.jpg
    Pend angle.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 441
Astrum said:
I should have been clearer. I know the concept behind the problem, I know how they solved, just not where they go the [tex]cos(\varphi-\frac{\pi}{2} )[/tex]

That perplexes me. The dot product equals the magnitude of each vector multiplied by each other, times the cos of the angle between them.

I don't know how they determined the angle.
... that is why I suggested you draw out the bigger diagrams. The exercise of resolving components gets you focussed on how the angles are related to each other. TSny has done one for you.

I didn't even realize that those angles were equal...

I have not a clue how to prove they're equal.

Construct another horizontal auxiliary line through the mass m. Also think about how the vector dr is oriented relative to the rod.

1. What is the angle between two forces?

The angle between two forces is the measurement of the deviation or difference in direction between the two forces. It is typically measured in degrees or radians.

2. How do you find the angle between two forces?

To find the angle between two forces, you can use the trigonometric functions of sine, cosine, or tangent. You will need to know the magnitudes and directions of the two forces to calculate the angle.

3. Why is finding the angle between two forces important?

Finding the angle between two forces is important in many scientific and engineering applications. It allows us to understand the relationship between the two forces and how they affect the motion of an object. It also helps us to calculate the net force and determine the equilibrium of a system.

4. Can the angle between two forces be negative?

Yes, the angle between two forces can be negative. This typically occurs when the two forces are acting in opposite directions or when one force is acting in the negative direction on a coordinate system.

5. How does the magnitude of the forces affect the angle between them?

The magnitude of the forces does not affect the angle between them. The angle is solely determined by the direction of the forces. However, the magnitude of the forces does affect the resulting net force and the overall motion of an object.