How do I find the angle of lap and belt tension in a two-pulley belt drive?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 7K views
loz3002
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
to be honest i don't know if this is the right place to be but i got a question,
if i have a belt drive consisting of two pulleys what is the equation to find the angle of lap,the tight side tension and number of belts required? I've completely forgot how to do this stuff
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Nice link Fred. I have belt selection books from 2 manufacturers but this online reference is handy.
 
I don't get a chance to use belt drives very often. When I do, I like to take a look at that link. Glad you like it.
 
FredGarvin said:
I don't get a chance to use belt drives very often. When I do, I like to take a look at that link. Glad you like it.

Hey Fred, just thought I'd let you know about something I found while poking around in the Machine Design and Analysis package for MathCAD-

Machine Design and Analysis: Section 1.13- Selecting a V-Belt

It runs you through the entire process laid out in that website link, from horsepower ratings, to Service factors, etc. Interestingly it also has sections on selecting leather, rubber, or multiple V-belts; along with all of that is timing belts, wire-rope drives, and of course gear trains, bearings and shafts, springs, ... Holy moley it's got a lot in there.
 
Last edited: