How do I find the tension in a cable in an elevator cab?

In summary: I will find another one that has more examples and explanations.In summary, the conversation focused on finding the tension in the supporting cable of an elevator cab with a combined mass of 1600 kg, initially moving downward at 12 m/s and brought to rest with constant acceleration in a distance of 42 m. The solution involved using SUVAT equations and the final answer for the tension was calculated to be 18,423 N. The conversation also brought up the issue of a textbook without equations and the recommendation to find a better resource.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"An elevator cab and its load have a combined mass of 1600 kg. Find the tension in the supporting cable when the cab, originally moving downward at 12 m/s, is brought to rest with constant acceleration in a distance of 42 m."

##m = 1600 kg##
##v = 12 m/s##
##d = 42 m##

Homework Equations

##t = d/v##
Answer: ##T = 1.8 * 10^4 N##

The Attempt at a Solution

##t = (42 m)/(12 m/s) = 3.5 s##
##v/s = (12 m/s)/(3.5 s) = 3.43 m/s^2##
##T = (1600 kg)(9.8 m/s^2 - 3.43 m/s^2) = 10192 N ≠ 18000 N##

I honestly have no idea how to tackle this problem, am just making guesses, and find it difficult to be doing this everyday as a student engineer. It's supposed to be so simple, yet I can't bloody do this. I'm doubting my ability to enter the engineering field if I can't do a simple problem such as this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eclair_de_XII said:

Homework Statement

"An elevator cab and its load have a combined mass of 1600 kg. Find the tension in the supporting cable when the cab, originally moving downward at 12 m/s, is brought to rest with constant acceleration in a distance of 42 m."

##m = 1600 kg##
##v = 12 m/s##
##d = 42 m##

Homework Equations

##t = d/v##
Answer: ##T = 1.8 * 10^4 N##

The Attempt at a Solution

##t = (42 m)/(12 m/s) = 3.5 s##
##v/s = (12 m/s)/(3.5 s) = 3.43 m/s^2##
##T = (1600 kg)(9.8 m/s^2 - 3.43 m/s^2) = 10192 N ≠ 18000 N##

I honestly have no idea how to tackle this problem, am just making guesses, and find it difficult to be doing this everyday as a student engineer. It's supposed to be so simple, yet I can't bloody do this. I'm doubting my ability to enter the engineering field if I can't do a simple problem such as this.
You've just thrown some calculations together at the end of your post.

There is a SUVAT equation which combines initial velocity, final velocity, distance traveled, and acceleration. Have you tried using that to find the acceleration a?

SteamKing said:
There is a SUVAT equation which combines initial velocity, final velocity, distance traveled, and acceleration. Have you tried using that to find the acceleration a?

The textbook did not give me any equations to work with, so I didn't even know to use them.

Eclair_de_XII said:
The textbook did not give me any equations to work with, so I didn't even know to use them.
You've got a computer. There's a wealth of knowledge at your fingertips. Google "SUVAT equations" and you can find what you need.

P.S.: What kind of textbook doesn't have equations in it? Throw that thing away. It's defective.

SteamKing said:
Google "SUVAT equations" and you can find what you need.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equat...translational_acceleration_in_a_straight_line

SteamKing said:
There is a SUVAT equation which combines initial velocity, final velocity, distance traveled, and acceleration.

From that link...
##v^2 = u^2 + 2as##
##0 = (12 m/s)^2 + 2a(42 m)##
##a = -(12 m/s)^2/2(42 m)##
##a = -1.7143 m/s^2##
##F = (a + g)(1600 kg) = (-1.7143 m/s^2 - 9.8 m/s^2)(1600 kg) = -18,423 N##
##T = -F = 18,423 N##

SteamKing said:
P.S.: What kind of textbook doesn't have equations in it? Throw that thing away. It's defective.

Thank you for saying this. I thought it was just me. I made a whole topic voicing my complaints on it, and I was convinced to keep using it, until now.

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that is exerted on an object by a stretched or compressed material, such as a cable or rope. It is the pulling force that is transmitted through the material.

2. How is tension calculated?

Tension can be calculated by using the formula T = mg + ma, where T represents tension, m represents the mass of the object, g represents the acceleration due to gravity, and a represents the acceleration of the object. This formula takes into account both the weight of the object and any additional forces acting on it.

3. What factors affect the tension in a cable?

The tension in a cable is affected by several factors, including the weight of the object being supported, the angle of the cable, the material and thickness of the cable, and any external forces acting on the cable.

4. How does tension in a cable affect the safety of an elevator?

The tension in a cable is crucial for the safe operation of an elevator. If the tension is too low, the cable may snap, causing the elevator to fall. If the tension is too high, it can put excess strain on the cable and other components of the elevator, potentially causing them to fail.

5. How can the tension in a cable be measured?

The tension in a cable can be measured using a device called a dynamometer, which measures the force and tension in a cable. It can also be calculated using the aforementioned formula, as long as the necessary variables are known.