Projectile motion problem, given the KE at the top of the parabolic arc

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Bilal Rajab Abbasi
Gold Member
Messages
13
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



Calculate the angle of Projection for which Kinetic Energy at the highest point of trajectory equal to one-fourth of its kinetic energy at point of projection?

Homework Equations



Range and height of Projectile equations

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
I've made two equations k.e wise and velocity wise but the answer which is 60 degrees isn't quite right.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Bilal Rajab Abbasi said:

Homework Statement



Calculate the angle of Projection for which Kinetic Energy at the highest point of trajectory equal to one-fourth of its kinetic energy at point of projection?

Homework Equations



Range and height of Projectile equations

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
I've made two equations k.e wise and velocity wise but the answer which is 60 degrees isn't quite right.
Please post your work in detail so we can check it. Thanks. :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bilal Rajab Abbasi
0.5 * mv^2sinx=0.25*(1/2 mv^2cosx)
Cosx/sinx=4 after cutting the common values
Tanx=sinx/cosx
Tanx=1/4
X=14.1
That was my attempt
In order to get the answer right I did this
(tan inverse of 4 minus tan inverse of -1/4
Answer is 61 degrees neglecting negative angle
But actually its 60.
 
Bilal Rajab Abbasi said:
0.5 * mv^2sinx=0.25*(1/2 mv^2cosx)
But the initial KE includes both the horizontal and vertical components, no? It looks like you are taking the initial vertical KE to be 1/4 of the horizontal KE at the top... Maybe I'm not understanding what you wrote...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bilal Rajab Abbasi
Can I get a solution on that please
I have my sendups coming and this question is part of the syllabus
It's an important one.
 
@berkeman is correct. You are ignoring the horizontal component of the velocity for the total kinetic energy at the initial point.

Bilal Rajab Abbasi said:
Can I get a solution on that please
No. Providing solutions (and asking to be provided solutions) is against the forum rules, which you agreed to when you signed up.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
Bilal Rajab Abbasi said:
0.5 * mv^2sinx=0.25*(1/2 mv^2cosx)
.

I would say your 0.25 is in the wrong place apart from what was mentioned above about the initial KE.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
Thanks. I had corrected that and solved it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman