1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the area of a circular strip

1. Oct 26, 2015 #1
    http://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs7165/art/qb/qu/c29/pict_29_93.gif
    if I wanted to find the area of the outer circular strip, I know I would just take the area of the composite and subtract out the inner radius. (i.e. pi(a^2)-pi(b^2)). However why cant I use 2pi*radius*thickness? this would be 2pi*a(a-b) which is obviously not the same.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2015 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course not if the thickness is not infinitesimal. The "2pi*radius*thickness" comes from assuming that the strip can be stretched out to make a long rectangle, which is obviously not possible if the inner and outer radius are not infinitesimally different.

4. Oct 26, 2015 #3
    Yeah, I had a hunch it had something to do with that. If the inner and outer radii are different, then it doesnt wind up being a rectangle. Thanks for the reply.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook