Finding The area of part of a semi-circle.

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ok so heres the problem. Hope you guys can help me out.
    A church window is made up of a semicicrle on top of a square with side lengths of 2 metres. The window is divided into four sections of equal width by lines parralel to the upright sides of the square. Calculate the area of one of the middle sections of the window as an exact number.
    Heres a picture so you get what im talking about[​IMG]
    heres the link to the pic if that didnt work. http://img2.putfile.com/main/4/9313372093.jpg So i have to figure out the area of one of those middle sections of window.

2. Relevant equations
    The square/rectangle parts is not what im worried about, i cant get the circle part.
    The radius of the half circle is 1, so the A=(pi)r^2/2, A=(pi)/2.
    Circumference of the circle is C=(pi)D/2 so.. C=(pi)/2. Cirumference of the half circle is (pi)/2. So, circumference of 1/4 of the circle is (pi)/4.
    I know that the rectangular part of one of the inside sections of window is A=0.5*2=1m sq. now i just need to know how to find the whole area of one of the inside sections of window, not just the bottom part. Hope you guys can help me out. I need this figured out by tomorrow.

Thanks in advance,
    brandon

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy 40,673
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean by "an exact number"?

4. How could you break up the semi circle into shapes that you may know how to find the area of?

5. tiny-tim

tiny-tim 26,043
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi brandon!

Hint: draw a diagonal. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?