How do I find the axis of symmetry without the parabola equation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
Niaboc67
Messages
249
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


mIK8i4d.png

The Attempt at a Solution



I would guess it is -b/2a but I have gotten this incorrect. Maybe I have to figure out what the parabola equation is and apply it into the axis of symmetry. Assuming that is correct how would I find that?

Thanks[/B]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Niaboc67 said:

Homework Statement


mIK8i4d.png

The Attempt at a Solution



I would guess it is -b/2a but I have gotten this incorrect. Maybe I have to figure out what the parabola equation is and apply it into the axis of symmetry. Assuming that is correct how would I find that?

Thanks[/B]

You should be able to guess it like you guessed the other answers. Do you know what axis of symmetry means visually?
 
Isn't it the line which divide the parabola into two even parts. So the line that goes directly down the middle.
 
Niaboc67 said:
Isn't it the line which divide the parabola into two even parts. So the line that goes directly down the middle.

Right. What is that line?
 
Niaboc67 said:
Look to be the y-axis itself?

Right again. Now what's an EQUATION for that line?
 
Oh I just looked up some information on this and it looks like x=0 would create a completely vertical line. Is this correct?
 
Niaboc67 said:
Oh I just looked up some information on this and it looks like x=0 would create a completely vertical line. Is this correct?

Perfectly correct.
 
I would just like to add that your initial answer, "- 2a/b", makes no sense because there is no "a" and no "b" in the problem! I assume that was a general formula but you were not asked for a general formula, you were asked for an answer specific to this problem.