Finding the bond length of hydrogen theoretically

In summary, the bond length of H2 can be determined by setting the net force of attraction equal to the net force of repulsion and solving for the distance. However, when using Coulomb's law for nuclear and electron repulsion and attraction, there is no real answer. This may be due to an error in the calculations or a misunderstanding of the concepts involved. Further assistance is needed to solve the problem.
rokku
If the bond length of two atoms is the distance where the force of repulsion is equal to the force of attraction, then one could figure out what the bond length of H2 is by setting the net force of attraction to the net force of repulsion and solving for distance. However when I try this ... ((2.30976*10^-28)/( d ^2) )+ ((2.30976*10^-28)/(d+1.06*10^-10)^2)= ((-2.30976*10^-28 )/(d + 5.3*10^-11)^2) * 2... Where d is the unknown distance between the two hydrogens valence electrons, 1.06*10^-10 is the distance of the two radii of each hydrogen ( because proton - proton repulsion has a distance of d and the length of the distance from the proton to it's valence electron times 2 because there are two protons repelling each other) 5.3*10^-11 is the radius of the hydrogen atom and 2.30976*10^-28 is the charge of the electron and proton ( the electron has a negative charge on it ) . The problem is that when I plug this into an equation calculator, I don't get a real answer. I don't know where I went wrong,many help is appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to clarify what I did, it's basically Coulomb's law for nuclear repulsion+ Coulomb's law for electron repulsion = Coulomb's law for electron - proton attraction ( I multiplied this by two because the proton of hydrogen 1 is attracted to the electron of hydrogen 2 and the electron of hydrogen 1 is attracted to the proton of hydrogen 2 so there are really two cases of attraction going on )

What is the bond length of hydrogen?

The bond length of hydrogen is approximately 74 picometers (pm) when calculated theoretically. This value may vary slightly depending on the method used to calculate it.

How is the bond length of hydrogen calculated theoretically?

The bond length of hydrogen can be calculated using quantum mechanical models, such as the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the distance between the two hydrogen atoms and the forces acting between them.

Why is finding the bond length of hydrogen important?

Knowing the bond length of hydrogen is important for understanding the chemical properties and behavior of this element. It can also provide valuable insights into the nature of chemical bonding and help in the design of new molecules and materials.

How does the bond length of hydrogen compare to other elements?

The bond length of hydrogen is relatively short compared to other elements, due to its small atomic size and low electron density. For example, the bond length of carbon-carbon bonds is approximately 154 pm, while the bond length of hydrogen-hydrogen bonds is only about half of that.

Can the bond length of hydrogen be measured experimentally?

Yes, the bond length of hydrogen can be measured experimentally using techniques such as X-ray diffraction or spectroscopy. However, these methods may not be as accurate as theoretical calculations due to experimental limitations and uncertainties.