That sounds like a great idea, and I tried it, but I did not come up with exactly what I wanted.
I got dy/dx, using implicit differentiation, to be: [tex]\frac{-2ax - 2hy - 2g}{2hx + 2by + 2f}[/tex] So, when dy/dx = 0, then -2ax - 2hy - 2g = 0. You could also say from that, that when dy/dx = 0, then 2ax + 2hy + 2g = 0. Also, when dy/dx = [tex]\infty[/tex] then 2hx + 2by + 2f = 0.
Now, when I did the
partial differentiation, I got the same answers, which is why I did not like it.
I got
[tex]\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} = 2ax + 2hy + 2g[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac {\partial \phi}{\partial y} = 2hx + 2by + 2f[/tex]
From here I am stuck, I am unsure of really what to do. It seems like it is close, but just not there.
I guess you could say that for the first part, dy/dx = 0, that [tex]y = \frac{-ax - g}{h}[/tex] Which is a line, but from there I am uncertain, other than finding the other line, which is [tex]y = \frac {-hx - f}{b}[/tex]