1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the center of an Ellipse?

1. Dec 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The ellipse 18x^2+2x+y^2=1 has its center at the point (b,c) where b=____ and c=____?

2. Relevant equations

x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1

3. The attempt at a solution

18x^2+2x+y^2=1
    18(x^2+(1/9)x)+y^2=1
    18(x^2+(1/9)x+(1/324))+y^2= 1+18(1/324)
    18(x+(1/18))^2+y^2=19/18

I need it to be in the form x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1, then I can easily determine the coordinates of the center. Did I do something wrong? How do I get to this form? Thanks.
    (This is for my Calc. II class and I asked in two other forums and got nothing...but I figured you guys would know about this due to applications in astrophysics.)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2011 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You didn't do anything wrong, you are almost there.

The equation you are looking for is more like:

[tex]\frac{(x-x_0)^2}{a}+\frac{(y-y_0)^2}{b}=1[/tex]

... where a and b are the semi-axis, and the center is at [itex](x_0,y_0)[/itex] (and the ellipse has not been rotated.) Notice you can just read the center off from your equation.

4. Dec 8, 2011 #3
    Yes, I know I am really close. However, I cannot get the equation to equal one, without having constants in the numerator other than 1. When I multiply by (18/19) to make it equal to one the numerator never cancels?

5. Dec 8, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can always get a constant out of the numerator. Remember that[tex]\frac a b = \frac 1 {\frac b a}[/tex]

6. Dec 8, 2011 #5
    Oh, ok! Thanks, I think I got it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook