1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the Center of Mass of a pendulum

1. May 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assuming that the combined mass of the balls is greater than the combined mass of the cords, but that the cords do have some mass, where is the center of mass for the system shown below?

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried approaching this problem by finding the center of mass for the two balls first. I picked a point closer to the lower ball which is heavier. However I don't know how I would find the center of mass of the cord?? Is the center of mass usually closer to heavier objects. I think I need a conceptual understanding of the center of mass.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

well, write down the relevant equation !

The pragmatic one is: where do you support something to get a balance ? Good for individual sticks and balls. For a rope with weight: imagine it's frozen.

4. May 5, 2014 #3
    My book did not give an equation for solving this particular question. However I do like the idea of finding a balance in the object in order to find the center of mass. Thanks!

5. May 6, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The relevant equation for the position of the center of mass is
    $$\vec r_{\rm c.o.m.} = {\sum_i m_i \, \vec r_i \over \sum_i m_i }$$check it out.
    For each ball you end up in the center of the thing and for each section of rope you end up halfway. Comes naturally. Adding the four vectors according to the relevant formula can never let you end up at a (why not?) or at b (why not?) and some judgment about M2 > M1 leaves only one answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted