Finding the change in length of a nylon string

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the change in length of a nylon tennis string under tension, given its diameter, Young's Modulus, and the applied force. The final answer was found to be 1.802481745 cm.
tjohn101

Homework Statement

A nylon tennis string on a racket is under a tension of 225 N. If its diameter is 0.97 mm, by how much is it lengthened from its untensioned length of 29.6 cm?

Li= 29.6cm =.296 m
r= 4.85e-4 m
A= 7.389811319e-7
F= 225 N
E= Young's Modulus for Nylon= 5 x 10^9
Solving for deltaL

Homework Equations

A=pi(r)^2
F= E (delta L/Li) A

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found the area and tried using the equation above but did not get a correct answer. I may well have messed up the calculations because that equation confuses me a little and I seem to be algebraically challenged this fine morning.
All my incorrect answers so far are:
14.5e-8 cm
7.470483757e-8 cm
14.506204362e-7 cm
7.470483757e-6 cm (the last three answers came from the equation above)

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\Delta L = \frac{FL}{AE}[/tex]

what units are E in?

rock.freak667 said:
[tex]\Delta L = \frac{FL}{AE}[/tex]

what units are E in?

I've been trying to find the equation in latex... :/ E is in N/m^2.

tjohn101 said:
I've been trying to find the equation in latex... :/ E is in N/m^2.

I was just checking to see what units the value of E you quoted were in.

But try plugging the number back in and checking again, you aren't supposed to get such small changes in length.

rock.freak667 said:
I was just checking to see what units the value of E you quoted were in.

But try plugging the number back in and checking again, you aren't supposed to get such small changes in length.

Okay I plugged everything into it and got an answer but I need to be sure it's right. I only have one more try. :/ Would the answer be 1.802481745?

PS: I love your signature. Makes everything so much simpler. : )

tjohn101 said:
Okay I plugged everything into it and got an answer but I need to be sure it's right. I only have one more try. :/ Would the answer be 1.802481745?

If you mean 1.8025 cm, then I believe so as that looks better than 14.506204362x10-7 cm

rock.freak667 said:
If you mean 1.8025 cm, then I believe so as that looks better than 14.506204362x10-7 cm

Where did that answer come from? And sorry about the long numbers. My homework website is extremely picky

tjohn101 said:
Where did that answer come from? And sorry about the long numbers. My homework website is extremely picky

1.802481745 what unit is this in?

for the other number, I just quoted one of your above answers.

rock.freak667 said:
1.802481745 what unit is this in?

for the other number, I just quoted one of your above answers.

Centimeters. The final answer is supposed to be in centimeters so I multiplied the answer from the equation by 100.

Oh yeah I forgot about that one. :/ That was early this morning.

tjohn101 said:
Centimeters. The final answer is supposed to be in centimeters so I multiplied the answer from the equation by 100.

Oh yeah I forgot about that one. :/ That was early this morning.

then 1.802481745cm should be it.

rock.freak667 said:
then 1.802481745cm should be it.

That it is! Thank you very much for your help, sir.

What is the purpose of finding the change in length of a nylon string?

The purpose of finding the change in length of a nylon string is to measure the amount of elongation or contraction that occurs when the string is subjected to a force. This information is important in understanding the material properties of nylon and can also be useful in engineering and design applications.

What factors affect the change in length of a nylon string?

The change in length of a nylon string can be affected by various factors such as the magnitude and direction of the applied force, the temperature, and the length and thickness of the string. Other factors such as the age and condition of the string may also play a role.

How is the change in length of a nylon string measured?

The change in length of a nylon string can be measured using a variety of methods, including using a ruler or caliper to directly measure the change in length, or using a strain gauge to measure the strain or deformation of the string. Additionally, specialized equipment such as a tensile testing machine can be used to accurately measure the change in length under controlled conditions.

What is the difference between elastic and plastic deformation in a nylon string?

Elastic deformation refers to the temporary change in length of a nylon string when a force is applied, which will return to its original length once the force is removed. Plastic deformation, on the other hand, refers to the permanent change in length that occurs when the applied force exceeds the elastic limit of the string, causing it to permanently stretch or deform. Nylon strings typically exhibit both elastic and plastic deformation.

How does the change in length of a nylon string affect its strength?

The change in length of a nylon string can affect its strength in different ways. For example, a string that undergoes excessive plastic deformation may weaken and become more prone to breaking. On the other hand, a string that exhibits a small amount of elastic deformation can actually increase in strength as it becomes more taut. The extent to which the change in length affects the strength of the nylon string will depend on various factors such as the type of nylon and the magnitude and duration of the applied force.