Calculating Tension Forces on Charged Balls Suspended by Strings

In summary: Can you draw the free-body diagram?Yes, I drew the free-body diagram.Yes, I drew the free-body diagram.In summary, the free-body diagram shows that there are two forces acting on the balls- a tension force in string BC and a gravitational force in string AB.
Cglez1280

Homework Statement

Two identical balls (B and C) with a mass of .5 g are suspended from two strings as shown above. The balls carry equal charges +10nC each and are separated by a distance of 4 cm.
A. Draw the free-body diagram and show all forces applied to ball C.
B. Find the tension force in the string BC.
C. Draw free-body diagram and show all forces applied on ball B
D. Find the tension force in string AB
E. Answer question a, b, c, d for the situation when the balls have equal but opposite charges (charge on B is positive and charge on C is negative).

Variables
Ball C mass= 0.5g=0.0005Kg
g=9.81
a=0m/s^2

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so i thought the regular force tension equation would work but it didnt. I used Ft=w+ma. Using the variables I put the variables in each one. I did Ft=0.0005kg*9.81m/s^2+0.0005kg*0m/s^2 and got 0.004905, but turns out that is not the correct answer. The answer I'm supposed to get is 0.00546 N and I don't know what to do. Also I'm not sure what would work.

My free body diagram, the first one is for Part A and the second one is for Part C.
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/105387 https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/105388
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/free-body-diagram-one-png.105387/ https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/free-body-diagram-two-png.105388/
[Moderator's edit note: Images retrieved from member's repeat post of this problem]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you draw the free-body diagram?

David Lewis said:
Can you draw the free-body diagram?
Yes I already drew it.

Cglez1280 said:
Yes I already drew it.
We can't see it .

SammyS said:
We can't see it .
Don't mind the things above my drawing

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 400
Cglez1280 said:
Don't mind the things above my drawing
@berkeman has already told you that it's nearly impossible to see content of your posted images. This one is no better.

Also, it's quite confusing when you use the same title on more than one thread.

SammyS said:
@berkeman has already told you that it's nearly impossible to see content of your posted images. This one is no better.

Also, it's quite confusing when you use the same title on more than one thread.
I'm sorry. I'm just new to this website and I'm looking for help. But, what's a better way of showing my free body diagram?

Cglez1280 said:
I'm sorry. I'm just new to this website and I'm looking for help. But, what's a better way of showing my free body diagram?
Take better pictures. Use some image enhancement app.

Learn to type equation and math symbols directly to this site.

Likes berkeman
Cglez1280 said:
Hi Cglez1280,

You might try a drawing program such as MS Paint or Visio or something similar to produce basic diagrams. That or find a way to make your camera images more clear; Lighting and focus can be problematical for phone cameras and they are not often very good for close-ups of handwriting.

Personally I use Visio to create most diagrams that I need to post. Occasionally I'll capture an image by downloading and saving it, or 'cutting' it with a screen "snipping tool", and then I'll use use Visio or Paint to modify it.

Whatever you choose it's in your best interest to make it as easy as possible for helpers to read your content; Volunteers are under no obligation to spend time deciphering offerings, and they may well just move on to a thread which is easier to deal with.

You may find it easier if the free-body diagram shows both balls (ball B and ball C). Each ball will have three forces acting on it. Also, be sure to label and dimension the strings.

Note that this is a static analysis -- nothing is moving.

The problem is the fbd doesn't appear to show all the forces acting on the balls. One force has been missed despite the title of this thread.

1. What is electric charge?

Electric charge is a fundamental physical property of matter that causes it to experience electrical and magnetic forces. It can be positive or negative, and is measured in units of coulombs (C).

2. How is electric charge created?

Electric charge is created by the movement of electrons from one atom to another. This can happen through various processes such as friction, conduction, and induction.

3. What is the relationship between electric charge and force?

Electric charges exert forces on each other, either attracting or repelling depending on their charges. This force is known as the electrostatic force and is governed by Coulomb's Law.

4. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region of space around a charged object where another charged object will experience a force. It is created by the presence of electric charges and can be either positive or negative.

5. How does distance affect electric force?

According to Coulomb's Law, the electric force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the magnitude of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two charged objects increases, the force between them decreases.