Finding the coefficient of kinetic friction and work

In summary, a small 2.00-kg package is released from rest at point A on a track that is one-quarter of a circle with radius 1.60 m. It slides down the track and reaches point B with a speed of 4.80 m/s. From point B, it slides on a level surface a distance of 3.00 m to point C, where it comes to rest. The coefficient of kinetic friction on the horizontal surface can be found by using the equation fK = coeff. of friction x N. To find N, the normal force, we can use the equation Fy = -mgy + N, where m is the mass of the package, g is the acceleration due to gravity
leafeater47
In a truck loading station at a post office, a small 2.00-kg package is released from rest at point A on a track that is one-quarter of a circle with radius 1.60 m. The size of the package is much less than 1.60 m, so the package can be treated as a particle. It slides down the track and reaches point B with a speed of 4.80 m/s. From point B, it slides on a level surface a distance of 3.00 m to point C, where it comes to rest.

a) What is the coefficient of kinetic friction on the horizontal surface?

b) How much work is done on the package by friction as it slide down the circular arc from A to B?Normally, I would follow the guidelines and post equations and attempts at this problem but the thing is, I have no idea what equations I'm supposed to use, and that's a bit of a problem.

*EDIT* Equations: Fy = -mgy + N
I plugged everything in, getting 0 = -(2)(9.8)(cos0) + N and N=19.6. Is this right? What do I do from here, if it is right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi leafeater47,

leafeater47 said:
In a truck loading station at a post office, a small 2.00-kg package is released from rest at point A on a track that is one-quarter of a circle with radius 1.60 m. The size of the package is much less than 1.60 m, so the package can be treated as a particle. It slides down the track and reaches point B with a speed of 4.80 m/s. From point B, it slides on a level surface a distance of 3.00 m to point C, where it comes to rest.

a) What is the coefficient of kinetic friction on the horizontal surface?

b) How much work is done on the package by friction as it slide down the circular arc from A to B?

Normally, I would follow the guidelines and post equations and attempts at this problem but the thing is, I have no idea what equations I'm supposed to use, and that's a bit of a problem.

*EDIT* Equations: Fy = -mgy + N
I plugged everything in, getting 0 = -(2)(9.8)(cos0) + N and N=19.6. Is this right? What do I do from here, if it is right?

That looks like the right value for the normal force (for the horizontal surface). How is the normal force related to the kinetic frictional force?

The effect of friction is to bring the object to rest in a distance of 3m (starting at 4.8m/s). What can you find from those values, that will relate to the frictional force?

So, I should use fK = coeff. of friction x N?
To get fK, do I do 4.8m/s x 3m x .2kg? That doesn't seem right...

OR, when you said what can i find from the values 4.8m/s and 3m, did you mean find the time for how long it takes the block to stop sliding? If that's what you meant I got .625s.

And if that's the case, then to get fK i would do (4.8m/s)(.2kg)(.625s) and get .6 and when I plug that into the equation above, I get coeff. of friction = .031.

Is any of this right or am I just completely spouting nonsense? I don't think I did anything right lol I think the coeff. of friction is supposed to be bigger.

What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a number that represents the level of resistance between two surfaces in contact when one is in motion. It is denoted by the symbol "μ" and is a unitless quantity.

How is the coefficient of kinetic friction calculated?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction by the normal force between the two surfaces. This can be represented by the equation μ = Fk/N, where Fk is the force of kinetic friction and N is the normal force.

What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be affected by several factors, such as the nature of the surfaces in contact, the presence of any lubricants, the roughness of the surfaces, and the velocity of the moving object.

Why is finding the coefficient of kinetic friction important?

Finding the coefficient of kinetic friction is important in many practical applications, such as designing vehicles with proper braking systems, calculating the amount of force needed to move an object, and determining the efficiency of machines.

What is the relationship between the coefficient of kinetic friction and work?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is directly related to the amount of work done by friction. The higher the coefficient, the more work is required to overcome the frictional force. This means that a higher coefficient of kinetic friction leads to a decrease in the efficiency of a system.