Finding the Critical Point(negative square root)

In summary: To satisfy (1), we must have x = -1, but then y^2 = -1, which is not possible. Therefore, the critical point is (x,y,z) = (-1,0,0). In summary, the critical point for the function g(x,y,z) = x^3 + xy^2 + x^2 + y^2 + 3z^2 is (-1,0,0).
Luscinia

Homework Statement

Find the critical points for the function g(x, y, z) = x3+xy2+x2+y2+3z2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've come up with the following 3 equations (derivatives set so that they are equal to 0)
(1) 3x2+y2+2x=0
(2) 2xy+2y=0
(3) 6z=0

From (3),
z=0​
From (2),
2y(x)+2y(1)=0
x+1=0
x=-1​
From (1) using what I have obtained from (2),
3(-1)2+y2+2(-1)=0
3-2+y2=0
1=-y2
y2=-1​
I do not know how I am supposed to isolate y in this case since square roots are supposed to be positive. Do I need to get i involved? If so, how?

Physics news on Phys.org
From (2) you have two possibilities: [itex]0 = 2xy + 2y = 2y(x + 1)[/itex] so either [itex]y = 0[/itex] or [itex]x = -1[/itex] or both.

You must also satisfy (1). You've shown that if [itex]x = -1[/itex] then (1) requires that [itex]y^2 = -1[/itex], so that doesn't give you a critical point. There remains the [itex]y = 0[/itex] possibility.

Luscinia said:

Homework Statement

Find the critical points for the function g(x, y, z) = x3+xy2+x2+y2+3z2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've come up with the following 3 equations (derivatives set so that they are equal to 0)
(1) 3x2+y2+2x=0
(2) 2xy+2y=0
(3) 6z=0

From (3),
z=0​
From (2),
2y(x)+2y(1)=0
x+1=0
x=-1​
From (1) using what I have obtained from (2),
3(-1)2+y2+2(-1)=0
3-2+y2=0
1=-y2
y2=-1​
I do not know how I am supposed to isolate y in this case since square roots are supposed to be positive. Do I need to get i involved? If so, how?

##(2) \Longrightarrow 2y(x+1) = 0 \Longrightarrow y = 0 \; \text{or }\; x+1 = 0##.

1. What is the critical point in scientific terms?

The critical point, also known as the critical state, is the temperature and pressure at which a substance transitions from a liquid to a gas (or vice versa) without any change in temperature or pressure. This point is also characterized by the substance being in a state of equilibrium between its liquid and gas phases.

2. How is the critical point determined for a substance?

The critical point is determined by conducting experiments where the temperature and pressure of a substance are gradually varied. At the critical point, the substance will exhibit unique behaviors such as changes in density and heat capacity, allowing scientists to identify this point.

3. Can a substance have multiple critical points?

No, a substance can only have one critical point. This point is unique to each substance and is determined by its chemical composition and physical properties.

4. What happens if a substance is heated above its critical point?

If a substance is heated above its critical point, it will no longer exist as a liquid or gas, but instead, it will be in a state known as a supercritical fluid. Supercritical fluids have properties of both liquids and gases and are often used in industrial processes.

5. Why is the critical point important in scientific research?

The critical point is important because it allows scientists to understand and predict the behavior of substances at extreme temperatures and pressures. It also has practical applications in fields such as chemical engineering, where knowledge of the critical point is essential for designing and optimizing processes.