Finding the curve of graph intersections

In summary: But since you are used to looking at the coordinate plane going from the top left to the bottom right, the point at y=0 is in the (positive x value,0,negative z value) position.
Lucci

Homework Statement

A circular cylinder of radius 1 and the hyperbolic paraboloid, z=y2-x2, intersect. Which vector function r(t)=x(t)i+y(t)j+z(t)k has the curve of intersection as its graph if x(0)=0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that intersection is a circle with a changing z value (the question provided a graph), so my x and y values will either be cos(t), sin(t) or vice versa.

So, if you use sin(t) and cos(t) for the x and y values, you get
z=cos2 (t)-sin2(t)
and z = cos(2t)

So we have r(t)=<sin(t),cos(t),cos(2t)>

However, this would mean that when y=0, t=pi/2
So when t=pi/2, we should have point (1,0,1), but on the graph provided, the point at y=0 is clearly(positive x value,0, NEGATIVE z value)

I am confused. :/

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Lucci. Welcome to PF. But I'm afraid there aren't any mind readers here. Since you didn't give us the equation of the cylinder nor a picture of the graph, how can we be expected to help you? Also, I very much doubt the intersection of a cylinder with a hyperbolic paraboloid is a circle. At least give us, word-for-word, the exact statement of the problem.

Aye.
I apologize. I'm still getting used to this thing.
This is the picture of the graph...
graph.jpg

And when I mean a circle, I sort of imagine parameterized curves as being drawn by a moving t value. This t value will go in a circle around the z axis (x2+y2 while simultaneously moving up and down as z increases/decreases.

In other words, the cylinder is given by [itex]x^2+ y^2= 1[/itex]. If you add that to [itex]z= x^2- y^2[/itex] you get [itex]z+1= 2x^2[/itex] or [itex]z= 2x^2- 1[/itex].

Standard parametric equations for the unit circle are [itex]x= cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]y= sin(\theta)[/itex].

Lucci said:

Homework Statement

A circular cylinder of radius 1 and the hyperbolic paraboloid, z=y2-x2, intersect. Which vector function r(t)=x(t)i+y(t)j+z(t)k has the curve of intersection as its graph if x(0)=0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that intersection is a circle with a changing z value (the question provided a graph), so my x and y values will either be cos(t), sin(t) or vice versa.

So, if you use sin(t) and cos(t) for the x and y values, you get
z=cos2 (t)-sin2(t)
and z = cos(2t)

So we have r(t)=<sin(t),cos(t),cos(2t)>

However, this would mean that when y=0, t=pi/2
So when t=pi/2, we should have point (1,0,1), but on the graph provided, the point at y=0 is clearly(positive x value,0, NEGATIVE z value)

I am confused. :/

Lucci said:
Aye.
I apologize. I'm still getting used to this thing.
This is the picture of the graph...
graph.jpg

And when I mean a circle, I sort of imagine parameterized curves as being drawn by a moving t value. This t value will go in a circle around the z axis (x2+y2 while simultaneously moving up and down as z increases/decreases.

OK, thanks for the graph Lucci. I have a couple of observations. First, the question should have asked for "a parameterization" not "which parameterization" because there are many that would technically work. And, of course, as I believe you understand, it isn't the graph that is a circle but the xy parameter curve that is. And last, HallsOfIvy's parameterization doesn't satisfy your requirement that x(0) = 0.

Now to answer your question. The parameterization you gave is correct. It correctly parameterizes the unit circle and x(0) = 0 as required. What is confusing you is that your parameterization starts at the y-axis and goes around the other way than what you are used to. Looking down on the xy plane it goes around the circle clockwise. So at t = pi/2 you should get (1,0,-1) as the graph shows.

Last edited:

1. What is the curve of graph intersections?

The curve of graph intersections is a graphical representation of the points where two or more graphs intersect. It shows the coordinates of these points and the shape of the curve formed by connecting them.

2. How do you find the curve of graph intersections?

The curve of graph intersections can be found by plotting the graphs on the same coordinate system and identifying the points where they intersect. These points can then be connected to form the curve.

3. What is the significance of the curve of graph intersections?

The curve of graph intersections can provide valuable information about the relationships between different variables. It can help determine the points of equilibrium, maximum or minimum values, and the overall behavior of the graphs.

4. Are there any specific methods for finding the curve of graph intersections?

Yes, there are a few methods that can be used to find the curve of graph intersections. These include graphing, algebraic methods, and numerical methods such as using a graphing calculator or computer software.

5. How can the curve of graph intersections be used in real-world applications?

The curve of graph intersections can be used in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering to analyze and model complex relationships between variables. It can also be used to make predictions and inform decision-making processes.