Finding the diameter of a coil.

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the diameter of a coil made from a 1.2-m-long copper wire that will generate a 0.60 mT magnetic field at the center when the current is 1.5 A. The formula d = sqrt ( (mu*L*I/pi*B)) was initially used, but resulted in a very small number. The conversation then suggests using Ampere's law to solve for the number of turns, and then dividing the length of the coil by the number of turns to find the circumference of each turn.
cds5615

Homework Statement

You have a 1.2-m-long copper wire. You want to make an N-turn current loop that generates a 0.60 mT magnetic field at the center when the current is 1.5 A. You must use the entire wire.

Homework Equations

What will be the diameter of your coil?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried applying this formula d = sqrt ( (mu*L*I/pi*B)) and keep getting a really small number =0.000021 m

What am I missing here??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What was the original formula? Name of it?

I actually just got it from a classmate, him and his friend were both able to get to the answer from that equation.

I tried using B= mu*(N/L)*I but you don't end up with a numerical value when solving for d. There must be a way to find the answer with another method...

Ahhh I see, well I'll s how you how to do it. Use Ampere's law. [tex] BL = IN\mu_0 [/tex]

It will yield the correct answer, and I can see whoever wrote the question planned it very well.

But I am solving for diameter. How can I apply that equation?

Well.. You know everything except for N (number of turns).
Once you've found how many turns you have divide the length of the coil by N. That will clearly give you the circumference of each turn (provided they are uniform).

1. How do you measure the diameter of a coil?

The diameter of a coil can be measured by using a ruler or caliper to measure the distance across the center of the coil, from one side of the coil to the other.

2. What is the importance of finding the diameter of a coil?

The diameter of a coil is an important measurement for determining the size and dimensions of a coil, as well as for calculating the number of turns or wire length in the coil.

3. Are there any specific tools or techniques for finding the diameter of a coil?

While a ruler or caliper can be used, there are also specialized tools such as coil winding machines that have built-in diameter measurement capabilities. Additionally, there are techniques such as using a micrometer or laser measurement for more precise measurements.

4. Can the diameter of a coil change over time?

Yes, the diameter of a coil can change over time due to factors such as thermal expansion or contraction, mechanical stresses, or wear and tear. It is important to regularly measure and monitor the diameter of a coil to ensure its proper functioning.

5. Is finding the diameter of a coil a difficult process?

It can be a relatively simple process with the right tools and techniques, however, it may require some precision and patience. It is important to follow proper measurement procedures and use appropriate tools to ensure accurate results.