Finding the eigenvectors from complex eigenvalues

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with finding eigenvectors in a complex eigenvalue problem in their Differential Equations course. They are confused about the steps involved and how to use the matrix equation to find the eigenvectors. The expert suggests checking the eigenvalues and using a free variable to solve the matrix equation, or relying on the fact that complex eigenvalues come in pairs. The expert also provides a tip for typing matrices in LaTeX.
gtse

Homework Statement

This isn't really a question in particular.
I am doing my first Differential Equations course, and in the complex eigenvalues part, I am getting confused as to how to find the eigenvectors.

Example:
Solve for the general solution of:
x' = (1 -1)x (don't know how to type a matrix using latex sorry)
(5 -3)

Homework Equations

I know how to find the eigenvectors if there were real eigenvalues, since I've taken Linear Algebra and know that you can just simply reduce the matrix into Gauss-Jordan form.

The Attempt at a Solution

The eigenvalues are -1 +/- 2i (this is the easy part)
What confuses me is the next step:
The examples usually only plug in one eigenvalue (say -1+2i), which I don't know why.

And so the matrix will now look something like this;
(2-2i -1)
( 5 -2-2i)

What happens next I don't understand, usually the example would take
(2-2i)v1 - v2 = 0 if (v1,v2) was one of the eigenvectors
And it is around here I get the most confused.
- do I use v1 or v2 as the free variable?
- do I use the top or bottom row (5v1 + (-2-2i)v2 = 0) to find v1 and v2?

I have tried reading the books and the examples but they never show what they exactly do.

Physics news on Phys.org
First off, check your eigenvalues. Remember that the product of the eigenvalues has to equal the determinant of the matrix, but (-1 + 2i)(-1 - 2i) != 2.

Now you plug in one of the eigenvalues, and obtain some matrix (not exactly the one you reproduced, but close). You now solve the matrix equation (A - [tex]\lambda[/tex] I)x = 0. Suppose you start with the first row, you get some kind of linear relationship between v1 and v2, which is normal. Now considering the second row, you will see that it's just a constant multiple of the first row, so you won't get any more information from that. You can use whatever free variable you like: if (3+i,1) is an eigenvector, so is (10,3-i), right?

Then you can do the same thing with the other eigenvalue; or you can just rely on the fact that complex eigenvalues come in pairs, so if a + bi is an eigenvalue, so is a - bi. And if (d+ti,c) is an eigenvector associated with the eigenvalue a + bi, then (d - ti, c) is an eigenvector associated with the eigenvalue a - bi. That's usually easier.

For matrices in LaTeX try this:

Code:
[NOPARSE][tex]\left( \begin{array}{ccc}
a & b & c \\
d & e & f \\
g & h & i \end{array} \right)[/tex][/NOPARSE]

[tex]\left( \begin{array}{ccc}
a & b & c \\
d & e & f \\
g & h & i \end{array} \right)[/tex]

(Or you can click on the LaTeX images, and it shows you the code used to create it)

1. How do you determine the eigenvectors from complex eigenvalues?

To find the eigenvectors from complex eigenvalues, you first need to find the eigenvalues by solving the characteristic equation. Then, you can substitute the eigenvalues into the original equation and solve for the corresponding eigenvectors.

2. Can complex eigenvalues have real eigenvectors?

Yes, it is possible for complex eigenvalues to have real eigenvectors. This occurs when the complex eigenvalues are conjugate pairs, meaning they have the same real part but opposite imaginary parts.

3. How do you represent complex eigenvectors?

Complex eigenvectors are represented using a combination of real and imaginary numbers. They can be written in the form of a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

4. What is the significance of finding eigenvectors from complex eigenvalues?

Finding eigenvectors from complex eigenvalues is important in many fields of science and mathematics, including quantum mechanics, differential equations, and data analysis. They help us understand the behavior and transformations of complex systems.

5. Are there any special methods for finding eigenvectors from complex eigenvalues?

There are various methods for finding eigenvectors from complex eigenvalues, including the power iteration method, the inverse iteration method, and the QR algorithm. These methods may differ in complexity and efficiency, but they all ultimately lead to the same result.