Finding the Emf and Internal Resistance of a Battery with Changing Resistors

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
DoubleHelix
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


The p.d. across a battery's terminals is 8.0V when connected to a 4ohm resistor. When this resistor is replaced with a 2ohm resistor the p.d. across it's terminals is 6.0V. What is the emf and internal resistance of the resistor?

Homework Equations


V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution


Code:
V = IR                              V = IR
I  = V/R                            I  = V/R
   = 8/4                               = 6/2
   = 2A                                = 3A

And then I just don't know what to do next. Help would be very appreciated. :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
DoubleHelix said:

Homework Statement


The p.d. across a battery's terminals is 8.0V when connected to a 4ohm resistor. When this resistor is replaced with a 2ohm resistor the p.d. across it's terminals is 6.0V. What is the emf and internal resistance of the resistor?

I think the problem must ask "What is the emf and internal resistance of the battery"?

Correct?

You solve this kind of problem using the fact that you have two unknowns (Vbat and Rbat) and you have two equations (write the V=IR equation for the two situations that have been given to you).

Does that help?
 
Sorry for my very late reply, and yes it was supposed to be battery.

You did help a lot. And just in case anybody else is struggling with a problem like this then I'll explain how I did it. I worked out that I could solve the equations simultaneously to find find the internal resistance of the battery and then you just need to do a simple V=IR calculation to find the emf of the Battery. ;)