Internal Resistance of a Car Battery

In summary: You might be able to start it with a higher voltage, but you would quickly destroy the battery. Is it really worth it?In summary, the battery has an internal resistance of .02 ohms.
Reliquo

Homework Statement

An automobile battery has a terminal voltage of 12.8 V with no load. When the starting motor (which draws 90A) is running, the terminal voltage drops to 11.0 V. What is the internal resistance of the battery?

Homework Equations

V= EMF- Ir

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I'm just completely over thinking the problem and maybe missing something. In order to find EMF:

EMF= I(R+r) and in order to find this I need the R of the load in the circuit. This would be the Motor. The voltage drop is 1.8V so Ohm's Law would give V/I= (1.8)/(90A)=.02 Ohms, which seems way to low.

What am I missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Reliquo,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Your result looks okay. The no-load terminal voltage of the battery will be its EMF. The drop in terminal voltage due to a given current draw will be the drop across its internal resistance, so ΔV/I is the correct way to proceed, as you did.

Reliquo said:
seems way to low.
It looks a bit lower than typical in the real world, but hey, you have to work with the numbers you are given.

gneill said:
Hi Reliquo,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

Your result looks okay. The no-load terminal voltage of the battery will be its EMF. The drop in terminal voltage due to a given current draw will be the drop across its internal resistance, so ΔV/I is the correct way to proceed, as you did.

So if the no-load terminal voltage of the battery is the EMF (12.8V) this would give:

V= EMF- Ir

11.0 V = 12.8 V - 90A(r)

-1.8 V= -90Ar
.02 = r (Internal resistance)

So is this correct then?

Likes CWatters
Reliquo said:
So if the no-load terminal voltage of the battery is the EMF (12.8V) this would give:

V= EMF- Ir

11.0 V = 12.8 V - 90A(r)

-1.8 V= -90Ar
.02 = r (Internal resistance)

So is this correct then?
Yes.

haruspex said:
It looks a bit lower than typical in the real world, but hey, you have to work with the numbers you are given.
It actually looks very close to values I came up with about 10 years ago:

Code:
__measured__    calculated    notes
vdc    amps     R-internal
25.5     0       _n/a_       no load (and a guess)
22.6    96       0.030
22.5    92       0.033
22.2    97       0.034

22.4    95       0.032       average

I described the experiment briefly in at least three different threads. Here's one: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/boiling-water-w-a-car-battery.870832/#post-5468458

The 25.5 vdc no load value is guessed, as I didn't document the initial value.
The two batteries I had in series were also mismatched. One was a marine deep cycle, and the other was a typical car "starting" battery.

If we accept my spreadsheets linear interpolation:

2018.02.04.linear.interpolation.of.R.internal.png

0.02 Ω is just about spot on.

Perhaps you are using a newer fancy battery.

Attachments

• 2018.02.04.linear.interpolation.of.R.internal.png
    2018.02.04.linear.interpolation.of.R.internal.png
    4 KB · Views: 5,773
OmCheeto said:
Perhaps you are using a newer fancy battery.
No, just using numbers I found on the net.

You are correct. It seems low when a person at the electronics bench fiddling with milliamps all day imagines dumping 12 volts across a .1222 ohm load. The power supplies we use on a daily basis would fault out seeing .12ohms... but when you consider the electric motors efficiency, at perhaps 80%, you have .79kw being used as mechanical energy. Thats the equivalent of roughly 1 horsepower. Could a 1 horsepower pony motor crank your engine any better than that electric motor? Probably not. Its not a low resistance for the application, we are just not used to working with those current levels on a daily basis.

Consider what would happen if it was higher, say 1 Ohm. Could you start the car?

1. What is internal resistance of a car battery?

The internal resistance of a car battery refers to the resistance that occurs within the battery itself, which can affect its performance and overall lifespan. It is measured in ohms and is a result of the materials and design of the battery.

2. Why is internal resistance important in a car battery?

Internal resistance is important in a car battery because it can impact the battery's ability to deliver power to the car's electrical system. A higher internal resistance can result in a weaker and slower startup of the car, as well as a shorter lifespan of the battery.

3. How does internal resistance affect the performance of a car battery?

The internal resistance of a car battery can affect its performance by causing a voltage drop and limiting the amount of power that can be delivered to the car's electrical system. This can result in a slower startup, weaker electrical components, and a shorter lifespan of the battery.

4. What factors can contribute to increased internal resistance in a car battery?

There are several factors that can contribute to increased internal resistance in a car battery, including age, temperature, and repeated deep discharging. Other factors such as the type of materials used and the design of the battery can also play a role.

5. How can I measure the internal resistance of my car battery?

The most accurate way to measure the internal resistance of a car battery is with a specialized battery tester. However, you can also estimate the internal resistance by measuring the voltage drop across the battery while it is under load. A higher voltage drop indicates a higher internal resistance.