Finding the eq. of all tangent lines on a curve

In summary, you need to find the slope of the line from (x_0, y_0) = (x_0, x_0^2 + 2x_0) to (3, 14), find the derivative and evaluate it at x_0, find the slope of the tangent line, equate the values you got in step 1 and step 2, find the equation of the line from (x_0, y_0) to (3, 14) and solve for x_0.
Gus_Chiggins

Homework Statement

Problem: Find the equations of all tangent lines to the curve
y = x + 2x so that also go through the point (3, 14).

2. Do not use a derivitive

3. I don't even know where to start. I searched my book there isn't really available. Any help would be much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Gus_Chiggins said:

Homework Statement

Problem: Find the equations of all tangent lines to the curve
y = x + 2x so that also go through the point (3, 14).

2. Do not use a derivitive

3. I don't even know where to start. I searched my book there isn't really available. Any help would be much appreciated

Is that really supposed to be y=x+2x, or have you mis-typed something?

What's the correct equation? The "curve" y = x + 2x is a straight line that doesn't go through (3, 14), so no tangent can go through this point either.

Should it be y = x^2 + 2x?

sorry everybody,

yes I meant to say

y=x^2 + 2x

sorry

OK, now that we've gotten that out of the way...

Let [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex] be the point of tangency on the graph of the curve. BTW, you have drawn the graph, right?

At the point of tangency, the tangent line has to extend from [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex] to (3, 14).

Here is an outline of the steps you'll need to carry out for this problem:

1. Find the slope of the line from [itex](x_0, y_0) = (x_0, x_0^2 + 2x_0)[/itex] to (3, 14).
2. By calculating the derivative and evaluating it at [itex]x_0[/itex], find the slope of the tangent line.
3. Equate the value you got in step 1 with the value from step 2, and solve for [itex]x_0[/itex]. (I got two values for [itex]x_0[/itex].)
4. Find the associated y value for each value of [itex]x_0[/itex] from step 3.
5. Using each point [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex], find the equation of the line from [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex] to (3, 14). There are two distinct equations.

Is that enough of a hint?

What is the equation of a tangent line on a curve?

The equation of a tangent line on a curve is a linear equation that represents the slope of the curve at a specific point. It is also called the instantaneous rate of change or the derivative.

How do you find the equation of a tangent line on a curve?

To find the equation of a tangent line on a curve, you need to find the slope of the curve at the point of interest. This can be done by taking the derivative of the curve at that point. Then, you can use the point-slope formula to find the equation of the tangent line.

What is the point-slope formula for the equation of a tangent line?

The point-slope formula for the equation of a tangent line is y - y0 = m(x - x0), where (x0, y0) is the point of interest and m is the slope of the curve at that point.

Can there be more than one tangent line on a curve?

Yes, there can be more than one tangent line on a curve. This is because the slope of the curve can change at different points, resulting in different tangent lines.

How do you find the equation of all tangent lines on a curve?

To find the equation of all tangent lines on a curve, you can use the derivative to find the slope of the curve at different points. Then, you can use the point-slope formula to find the equation of the tangent line at each point. This will give you a set of equations that represent all the tangent lines on the curve.