Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding the eq. of all tangent lines on a curve

1. Jan 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Problem: Find the equations of all tangent lines to the curve
    y = x + 2x so that also go through the point (3, 14).

2. Do not use a derivitive

3. I dont even know where to start. I searched my book there isn't really available. Any help would be much appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2009 #2

danago

Gold Member

Is that really supposed to be y=x+2x, or have you mis-typed something?

4. Jan 15, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What's the correct equation? The "curve" y = x + 2x is a straight line that doesn't go through (3, 14), so no tangent can go through this point either.

Should it be y = x^2 + 2x?

5. Jan 15, 2009 #4
    sorry everybody,

yes I meant to say

y=x^2 + 2x

sorry

6. Jan 16, 2009 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

OK, now that we've gotten that out of the way...

Let [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex] be the point of tangency on the graph of the curve. BTW, you have drawn the graph, right?

At the point of tangency, the tangent line has to extend from [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex] to (3, 14).

Here is an outline of the steps you'll need to carry out for this problem:

1. Find the slope of the line from [itex](x_0, y_0) = (x_0, x_0^2 + 2x_0)[/itex] to (3, 14).
    2. By calculating the derivative and evaluating it at [itex]x_0[/itex], find the slope of the tangent line.
    3. Equate the value you got in step 1 with the value from step 2, and solve for [itex]x_0[/itex]. (I got two values for [itex]x_0[/itex].)
    4. Find the associated y value for each value of [itex]x_0[/itex] from step 3.
    5. Using each point [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex], find the equation of the line from [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex] to (3, 14). There are two distinct equations.

Is that enough of a hint?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook