1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the eq. of all tangent lines on a curve

1. Jan 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Problem: Find the equations of all tangent lines to the curve
    y = x + 2x so that also go through the point (3, 14).

2. Do not use a derivitive

3. I dont even know where to start. I searched my book there isn't really available. Any help would be much appreciated
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2009 #2

Gold Member

Is that really supposed to be y=x+2x, or have you mis-typed something?
  4. Jan 15, 2009 #3

Staff: Mentor

What's the correct equation? The "curve" y = x + 2x is a straight line that doesn't go through (3, 14), so no tangent can go through this point either.

Should it be y = x^2 + 2x?
  5. Jan 15, 2009 #4
    sorry everybody,

yes I meant to say

y=x^2 + 2x

6. Jan 16, 2009 #5

Staff: Mentor

OK, now that we've gotten that out of the way...

Let [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex] be the point of tangency on the graph of the curve. BTW, you have drawn the graph, right?

At the point of tangency, the tangent line has to extend from [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex] to (3, 14).

Here is an outline of the steps you'll need to carry out for this problem:

1. Find the slope of the line from [itex](x_0, y_0) = (x_0, x_0^2 + 2x_0)[/itex] to (3, 14).
    2. By calculating the derivative and evaluating it at [itex]x_0[/itex], find the slope of the tangent line.
    3. Equate the value you got in step 1 with the value from step 2, and solve for [itex]x_0[/itex]. (I got two values for [itex]x_0[/itex].)
    4. Find the associated y value for each value of [itex]x_0[/itex] from step 3.
    5. Using each point [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex], find the equation of the line from [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex] to (3, 14). There are two distinct equations.

Is that enough of a hint?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?