Finding the equation of a function if

• Thread starter Iceman2032
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, to find the equation of a linear function, you need to know the slope and y-intercept. The slope-intercept form, y = mx + b, is commonly used to represent linear functions. To find the slope of a function, you can use the slope formula or the coordinates of a point on the line. It is not possible to find the equation of a function with only one point, but you can use the point-slope form if you have the slope and one point. Nonlinear functions have different forms and methods for finding their equations, such as using a graphing calculator or solving a system of equations.
Iceman2032
I am trying to find a function with the following info:

1. Horizontal asymptote at 'a' where a > 0.
2. Function passes through origin (0,0).

is it even possible to find the equation of this function with this info?!

Any help is appreciated...

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind problem is solved... :)

Really? Because it is impossible: there are infinitely many such functions.

You can, of course, find the "simplest" rational function having those properties. Was that the problem?

1. How do I find the equation of a linear function?

To find the equation of a linear function, you need two pieces of information: the slope (m) and the y-intercept (b). Once you have these, you can use the slope-intercept form, y = mx + b, to write the equation of the function.

2. What is the slope-intercept form of a function?

The slope-intercept form of a function is y = mx + b, where m represents the slope of the line and b represents the y-intercept, the point where the line intersects the y-axis. This form is useful for quickly identifying the slope and y-intercept of a function.

3. How do I find the slope of a function?

The slope of a function is the change in y divided by the change in x between two points on the line. You can use the formula (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1) to find the slope, or you can use the coordinates of any point on the line and the slope-intercept form, y = mx + b, to calculate the slope.

4. Can I find the equation of a function if I only have one point on the line?

No, you need at least two points to determine the equation of a function. With only one point, you can determine the y-intercept but not the slope. If you have the slope and one point, you can use the point-slope form, y - y1 = m(x - x1), to write the equation of the function.

5. What if the function is not a straight line?

If the function is not a straight line, it is considered a nonlinear function. Nonlinear functions can have various forms, such as quadratic, exponential, or logarithmic. Each type of nonlinear function has a different method for finding its equation, which may involve using a graphing calculator or solving a system of equations.