Finding the equation of a bitangent line to a curve

In summary, the given curve y=x^4-2x^3-2x^2-2x has a bitangent with a slope of 4x^3-6x^2-4x-2. To find the equation of this line, we can use the fact that the two points of tangency must have the same slope and lie on the quartic curve. By solving for x_1 in terms of x_2 using the quadratic formula and finding the equation of the tangent line, we can determine the coordinates of the two points of tangency.
Kyrie
The curve [itex]y=x^4-2x^3-2x^2-2x[/itex] has a bitangent. I need to find the equation of this line.

First, I started off by computing the slope. Since it touches two points on the curve, their slopes should be the same.
So, I have the equation [itex]4x^3_1-6x^2_1-4x_1-2=4x^3_2-6x^2_2-4x_2-2[/itex]
I got up to the point where I have [itex]x^2_1+x_1x_2+x^2_2 = 3/2(x_1+x_2) + 1[/itex]
I seem to be stuck here. Any help?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Oh, guess I have no idea how to format the equation. My bad!

Kyrie said:
The curve [itex]y=x^4-2x^3-2x^2-2x[/itex] has a bitangent. I need to find the equation of this line.

First, I started off by computing the slope. Since it touches two points on the curve, their slopes should be the same.
So, I have the equation [itex]4x^3_1-6x^2_1-4x_1-2=4x^3_2-6x^2_2-4x_2-2[/itex]
I got up to the point where I have [itex]x^2_1+x_1x_2+x^2_2 = 3/2(x_1+x_2) + 1[/itex]
I seem to be stuck here. Any help?
Or ##2x_1^2 + 2x_1x_2 + 2x_2^2 - 3x_1 - 3x_2 - 2 = 0##
You could solve for, say, ##x_1## in terms of ##x_2##, using the Quadratic Formula. You'll need another equation to be able to determine ##x_1## uniquely. The points of tangency are on the graph of your original fourth-degree function, so I think you can get your second equation using that idea.

Mark44 said:
Or ##2x_1^2 + 2x_1x_2 + 2x_2^2 - 3x_1 - 3x_2 - 2 = 0##
You could solve for, say, ##x_1## in terms of ##x_2##, using the Quadratic Formula. You'll need another equation to be able to determine ##x_1## uniquely. The points of tangency are on the graph of your original fourth-degree function, so I think you can get your second equation using that idea.
Alright, solving for ##x_1##, I got ##x_1=\frac{-2x_2 + 3 \pm \sqrt{4x_2^4 + 4x_2^2 + 24x_2 - 7}}{4}##
I'm not sure if I have the points of tangency. The only equation relating ##x_1## and ##x_2## are the fact that they have the same slope.
I'll attach a picture of the question if that helps. P.S. sorry for the scribbles :(
XU6IROv.jpg

Let's say that the left tangent point goes through ##(x_1, y_1)##, with ##x_1## slightly to the right of -1. You can write the equation of the tangent line through ##(x_1, y_1)##, with everything in terms of ##x_1##. By that, I mean ##y_1 = x_1^4 - 2x_1^3 - 2x_1^2 - 2x_1##, and the slope is ##m = 4x_1^3 - 6x_1^2 - 4x_1 - 2##.
The equation of the tangent line is ##y - y_1 = m(x - x_1)## or ##y = y_1 + m(x - x_1)##. Find the point on this line for which the y-value on the line is equal to the y-value on the curve.

The two points we're looking for have to satisfy two criteria: 1) the slope has to be the same at both (the equation you found), and 2) both points have to lie on the quartic curve. With that second equation I think you will be able to find the coordinates of the two points of tangency.

Last edited:

What is a bitangent line?

A bitangent line is a line that touches a curve at two distinct points.

Why is finding the equation of a bitangent line important?

Finding the equation of a bitangent line can help us understand the behavior of a curve and its relationship to other curves. It can also be useful in solving optimization problems in mathematics and physics.

What information do I need to find the equation of a bitangent line?

You will need the coordinates of the two points where the bitangent line touches the curve. Additionally, you will need the slope of the curve at those two points.

How do I find the slope of the curve at a given point?

The slope of a curve at a given point can be found by taking the derivative of the curve at that point. Alternatively, if the curve is defined by an equation, you can use the formula for the slope of a tangent line at a point, which is the derivative evaluated at that point.

Can there be more than one bitangent line to a curve?

Yes, there can be multiple bitangent lines to a curve. This typically occurs when the curve has a point of inflection, where the slope of the curve changes sign, or when the curve has multiple local maxima or minima.