1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the equation of a parametric curve

1. Dec 8, 2012 #1
    1. if y(t)= (a/t, b/t, c/t)

2. Prove that this curve is a straight line. Find the equation of the line

3. i found the first part without a problem, i just am not sure how to find the equation f the line.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Apparently ##y(t)## is a vector instead of the second component of the right side? How did you show it is a straight line without finding its equation? And what does "the equation f " mean? What forms do you know for straight line equations in 3D?

4. Dec 8, 2012 #3
    y(t) is the parametric curve, and i proved its a straight line by proving the curvature of the line. the "f" is supposed to be of

5. Dec 8, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Proving the curvature is 0 is probably the hard way. Like LCKurtz said, "What forms do you know for straight line equations in 3D?"

6. Dec 8, 2012 #5
    x-xo/a=y-yo/b=z-zo/c

7. Dec 8, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a good one. It would be even better with pararentheses. Your parametric form is x=a/t, y=b/t, z=c/t. So?

8. Dec 8, 2012 #7
    so do i sub in a point for t in the domain? and that will give <xo,yo, zo> and then how do i find the direction <a,b,c>.

9. Dec 8, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try subbing <xo,yo,zo>=<0,0,0>.

10. Dec 8, 2012 #9
    and then the direction (a,b,c) would be point on the line or would it just be (a,b,c)?

11. Dec 8, 2012 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, x/a=1/t, y/b=1/t, z/c=1/t. So x/a=y/b=z/c. Direction vector? Point on the line? Or BOTH?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook