• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Finding the equation of a surface?

• Thread starter Kalookakoo
  • Start date

Homework Statement

2 Questions.

1)Find an equation for the surface consisting of all points P for which the distance from P to the x-axis is 5 times the distance from P to the yz-plane.

2)Find an equation for the surface consisting of all points that are equidistant from the point (−3, 0, 0) and the plane x = 3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1)The only thing I can think of is an ellipsoid with an equation similar to 5x^2+y^2+z^2=1

Is that correct? Or am I totally off?

2) I feel a parabolic cylinder would work here (opening facing toward point) but not sure how to find the equation.

Answers and Replies

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

2 Questions.

1)Find an equation for the surface consisting of all points P for which the distance from P to the x-axis is 5 times the distance from P to the yz-plane.

2)Find an equation for the surface consisting of all points that are equidistant from the point (−3, 0, 0) and the plane x = 3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1)The only thing I can think of is an ellipsoid with an equation similar to 5x^2+y^2+z^2=1

Is that correct? Or am I totally off?

2) I feel a parabolic cylinder would work here (opening facing toward point) but not sure how to find the equation.
In both cases take a variable point ##(x,y,z)##, calculate the various distances, and use the given relations. You will undoubtedly have to square things to simplify the equations.