Finding the Equilibrium Temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the equilibrium temperature of three isotopes of Neon in thermal contact with a bath of neutrons at a given temperature T. The relevant equations and data for Neon are provided, and the attempt at a solution leads to a negative equilibrium temperature. The discrepancy between the calculated and actual temperature is addressed, with the correct temperature being determined to be 2.9x10^9K.
vertices

Homework Statement

following on from my thread in the Nuclear physics subforum, I am trying to work out the equilibrium temperature of three isotopes (Neon) in a state of equilibrium established by thermal contact with a bath of neutrons at a temperature T.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{[20Ne][n]}{[21Ne]}=exp(\frac{B(21)}{kT})[/tex]

[tex]\frac{[21Ne][n]}{[22Ne]}=exp(\frac{B(22)}{kT})[/tex]

where for example,
B(21Ne)=[Mass(20Ne) + Mass(neutron) - Mass(21Ne)]c[tex]^{2}[/tex]
square brackets [..] represent concentrations

This is the relavent data for Neon:

A Ab mass (amu)
20 90.92 19.9924
21 0.26 20.9939
22 8.82 21.9914

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equations to find T gives:

[tex]T=\frac{B(21Ne)-B(22Ne)}{kln\frac{[20Ne][22Ne]}{[21Ne]^2}}[/tex] (*)

Now, B(21Ne)-B(22Ne)
={[Mass(20Ne)+Mass(neutron)-Mass(21Ne)]}-{[Mass(21Ne)+Mass(neutron)-Mass(22Ne)]
=Mass(20Ne) + Mass(22Ne) - 2*Mass(21Ne)

which is NEGATIVE (for neon, as well as for other isotope triplets)!

Because the denominator of (*) is positive, the equilbrium temperature is NEGATIVE! Weisacker who calculated this temperature worked it out to be 2.9x10^9K. What am I doing wrong? (I work it out to be -4.6x10^9)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any data about the number of each izotopes. Maybe you used higher number for higher energy state?

What is the definition of equilibrium temperature?

Equilibrium temperature is the temperature at which the rate of energy absorption by a body is equal to the rate of energy emission by the same body.

How is equilibrium temperature calculated?

Equilibrium temperature can be calculated using the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which states that the energy emitted by a body is directly proportional to the fourth power of its temperature.

What factors affect the equilibrium temperature?

The factors that affect the equilibrium temperature include the albedo (reflectivity) of the body, its distance from the heat source, and its specific heat capacity.

Why is finding the equilibrium temperature important?

Finding the equilibrium temperature is important in understanding the energy balance of a system, as well as predicting the temperature of objects in space, such as planets and stars.

How does the greenhouse effect impact equilibrium temperature?

The greenhouse effect can increase the equilibrium temperature of a planet by trapping heat in its atmosphere, causing it to absorb more energy than it emits.