1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding the exact value of an integral without calculator

1. May 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the exact value of: ∫-55 √25-x2 dx without using your calculator. (Hint: Consider the geometric significance of the definite integral.)

2. Relevant equations
    integrate and find antiderivative and evaluate at A and B.

3. The attempt at a solution
    -55 √25-x2 dx
    =[2/3(25-x2)3/2*2x]-55
    =(2/3(25-52)3/2*2*5)-(2/3(25--52)3/2*2*-5)
    =0-0

I don't think I got the right answer, I thought i always find the antiderivative to integrate.
    Is there something I am doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2012 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Yes it's definitely wrong, and also it's very hard to follow what you did to tell you where you went wrong.

What does the graph [itex]y=\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex] represent?

And have you learnt about using substitutions to solve integrals yet?

4. May 11, 2012 #3
    thank you for your quick response,
    is [itex]y=\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex] a circle?, oh a circle isn't continuous so i cant do antiderivatives?
    i have learned substitutions but if i let u be 25-x2, du = -2x dx, i would have to put a (-1/2x) in front of the integral, then integrate u to be (2/3)u3/2, wouldn't i still end up with (25-(52))-(25-(-5)2))
    would i just use the area of a circle formula ∏r2 for this problem?

5. May 11, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A circle would be [itex]x^2+ y^2= 1[/itex]- y can be both positive and negative. [itex]y=\sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex] requires that y be non-negative- it is a semi-circle.

Yes, that is the whole point of hint- the area under the semi-circle is half the area of a circle of radius 1.

6. May 11, 2012 #5
    thank you, that makes sense now. the radius is 5 so it would be (1/2)∏52.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook